Problems in Potions

After their break, they had Potions with Ravenclaw. Hermione sat down at the front of the classroom. She put her books on the edge of her desk. She looked around the room and spotted Lavender and her friends, which contained mostly Ravenclaws. They were huddled together whispering. Then a blonde headed girl gasped. She turned around to face Hermione. Then they all turned and stared at her. They started to whisper some more, but this time they were also sniggering.

Pretty soon Hermione's proud-to-make-jealous feeling shrunk until it dissolved. Now in the pit of her stomach, was a knotted, regretful feeling. She forced herself to look away from the group and glare straight forward, pretending to read an assignment on the board. 

Smiling, Ron sat down beside her. Hermione smiled back. Then, just to see if she was watching, she glanced over at the girls. They were defiantly watching. Lavender and some others smirked. The rest of them just went ahead and took their seat. Rolling her eyes, she focused all her attention onto Ron who was beaming at her. She beamed back.

"So," Ron began. "When's the next time your gonna snog me like that again?"

Hermione laughed, which made Ron smile more. "I dunno. When do you want me to?"

"I dunno, when are going to?"

They were getting nearer and nearer each other with each sentence.

"I dunno..."

"You don't?"

"Now."

"Now?"

"Uh-huh."

Their lips almost were touching when they heard a couple of loud thuds. Ron was startled. Hermione jumped at the noise and jerked out of her dreamy state. She spun around to see what the thud was. Her books had fallen to the floor and when she looked up, she was greeted with Lavender giving her that same stupid smirk.

"Ooops," she apologized sarcastically. "Sorry."

Hermione was on the verge of saying something when Professor Snape waltzed in the room and began shouting over the students' voices.

"Take your seat and be quiet!" He shouted in his long, boring, cold drawl.

Lavender shrugged at Hermione and took her seat at the back of the room. A little bit into the lesson and Ron leaned over and whispered "What's her problem?"  Hermione shook her head and Ron glanced over his shoulder at Lavender. Hermione was not thrilled about this new take-charge-of-things vibe Lavender was giving off.