Lavender Brown

A week back into school, Hermione had left Ron and Harry in the Gryffindor common room to go up to the girls' dormitory to study for Professor Flitwick's Advanced Charms quiz. Nobody really knew about Ron and Hermione's relationship. No one had slipped the word. Not yet, anyways.

Professor Flitwick was a very short little man with a long, pointed nose, glasses and white hair. Flitwick had told Hermione that she was the best student he'd had in years. So, sitting on the edge of her bed, with her head propped up by her hands, she looked down at the text of 'How to Cast the Perfect Charm: For the Advanced Witch or Wizard'. Too be honest, she wasn't very thrilled to be studying at the moment, but she felt she must. Luckily someone had come in to distract her.

Whoever it was came in and sat on the bed across from Hermione. They were the only ones up there in the dormitory at the time, so it was pretty quite. Hermione looked up to see Lavender Brown; a girl with fair skin and blonde wavy hair. She was fairly pretty, but Hermione never really noticed her with any boys. Hermione didn't mind her, but there was just something about her that she didn't like. She looked like a gossip girl.

Hermione smiled and went back to her studying. A few seconds into it and Lavender let out a loud sigh.

Hermione looked up and cleared her throat. She could tell that Lavender was just waiting for someone to tell some sort of news to. "Yes, Lavender," Hermione said quietly and politely. "Is there something you wish to tell me?"

Lavender looked at Hermione. A giant smile spread across her face as she gleefully told Hermione what was on her mind. "Huh. Hermione, I think I'm in love with the best looking guy ever."

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"You're going to think I'm crazy, but-''

She looked at Hermione before she burst out:

"Ron Weasley!"

Hermione's heart skipped a beat and she felt a quick sweat run across her body.

"Do you think he's single?" Lavender asked.

Hermione paused. "Um...uh...I dunno," she said.

"Oh, well, I'm going down to the kitchen to see if I can get some food from the Elves. Want anything?"

Hermione shook her head and stared at her book while Lavender headed for the kitchens.

Thoughts and questions raced through her mind.

Why does she have to like him? He's mine! What if Ron dumps me for her? What if she finds out that he's not single! That he's got a girlfriend! The one who she was talking to about!

Shortly after she went down to the common room. She lay her books on the table as Harry and Ron make their way over to her. She stared straight ahead, her eyes wide.