1

i don't know whether i made the worst possible decision or the best one.

moving to a different country was never easy. especially if you've been living in england and now have to leave everything behind, including your parents. i turn on some music on my phone and connect my airpods to it. i looked out the window of the plane to stop the queasy feeling inside my stomach.

but it wasn't all bad, the reason i was coming back to portugal after several years was to actually see my brother and have a fresh start. my brothers name is antónio silva, a professional footballer on the portuguese team. my brother had to stay in portugal if he wanted to continue with his career, so i haven't seen him in ages, only on video calls.

my uncle and auntie also lived here, so i would stay in their house with my brother.

                                        —

after the plane had landed, my uncle was supposed to pick me up. a few minutes had passed until a car parked, inside was my uncle. i grinned excitedly and practically ran to him.

"eleanor!" uncle dan exclaimed. "i haven't seen you in ages! how are you?"

i sat down and smiled warmly. "i'm fine, thank you." he then started to drive.

"so has anything been going on here?"

uncle dan laughed. "haha, no. it's all the same. but i think you'll be happy to meet some of your brothers team members, they have got ronaldo!"

i rolled my eyes jokingly, "i don't like ronaldo - and i don't even watch football that often,"

my bhy7uncle just chuckled and turned on some soft music for the rest of the 25 minute drive.

                                               —

when we finally got there i had kind of fallen asleep, i yawned tiredly and got out of the car. i was surprised that it was still day time; it was only 1:45 pm.

my smile immediately lifted after my auntie and brother came rushing out of the house.

"eleanor!" aunt kate hugged me tightly squealing. "it's been so long since i saw you, how are you?"

i hug her back and reply. "oh im good, it's so nice to see you again!"

when she finally pulls away i finally see my older brother, we immediately pull each other in for a hug.
"hey sis," he says and scrunches my hair.

                                —

after eating lunch all together at the table, my brother gives me a quick tour of the house.

"and this is your room," he shows me. the room is a bit smaller than my room in england but it's still perfect to me. instantly i jump onto the bed, feeling the softness of the mattress. my brother just rolls his eyes at me while grinning.

"by the way, i have practice today with the team at 2:30, if you come i can introduce you to everyone." antònio says while leaning against my door.

i smile. "oh, sure. ill be ready in a sec."

when he closes the door, i put my suitcase to the side and pull out some baggy jeans and a black top with it. i brushed my dark brown hair and left it loose - i jogged down the stairs in excitement and put my white converse trainers on.

"be prepared to meet the best football team in the world." he bragged.

                                      —

after a five minute drive we reached the practice area, everyone was already there, so i felt quite awkward being the only girl.

as soon as we walked in all eyes were on us; specifically me. as i looked around the room i met eye contact with a boy with dark brown fluffy hair and pretty eyes, he gave me a warm smile.

"everyone," antònio spoke up. "this is my younger sister eleanor silva. she recently moved here. i invited her to be here today and watch us practice."

i felt very nervous as my brother introduced me to everyone.

"this is diogo costa, only the best goalkeeper in the world!" antònio smiled and winked as i shook hands with diogo. diogo gave me a gentle nod.

"okay, next. this is joão felix, my closest friend."

we met eye contact once again while shaking our hands, he was really attractive and i couldnt help myself but stare at him a bit more.

"nice to meet you, eleanor." he smiled warmly and let go of my hand.

we then walked over to ronaldo. "and this is cristiano ronaldo! I'm sure you've heard of him already."

cristiano nodded with a smile and shook my hand.

then he started to walk away with the others to start practicing whilst my brother showed me where to sit.

antònio led me to the benches were a girl similar to my age was also sitting. when we approached i noticed how my brother started to blush.

"rosia, this is my younger sister eleanor. eleanor, this is rosia, my friend and also joão's sister." he spoke.

my face brightened as i went to shake hands with her, doing so she also smiled at me.

"it's nice to meet you!" she exclaimed.

"the same to you!"

-

after my brother had left us me and rosia got along quite well. i told her about myself and how i had just moved here from england

"i don't mean to assume, but is there anything going on between you and my brother?" i asked.

she blushed. "well.. i'm not quite sure myself. we've had times where we were about to kiss but it always gets ruined. i've known him for so long and honestly.. i'm so in love with him, i truly think he's the one."

my eyes widened and i grinned. "oh my god, my brothers got a girlfriend!"

"we aren't official, but - please don't tell anyone, it's a secret that nobody knows of,"

i smiled warmly. "of course i won't, i am just a stranger that you met ten minutes ago but you can trust me with anything."

"thank you, eleanor." she smiled. "i feel like we're going to be best friends."

-

before we had to go home, me and rosia exchanged numbers.

my brother drove us home, then we ate dinner with the family.

i went to my room and started to unpack until my phone went off. it was a message from rosia.

rosia

hey!

eleanor

heyy! what's up?

rosia

nothing much, just got out the shower. i just wanted to ask if you wanted to hang at my house tomorrow?

eleanor

oh sure! what time?

rosia

hmm, is 1:00 alright?

eleanor

yep! that's fine for me. guess I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight!

rosia

goodnight!

i smiled, maybe portugal was going to work out for me. i finished unpacking my stuff and climbed into bed, i watched tiktok for a bit until i fell asleep.