44

tyler's point of view

sydney, emily, and i sit on my couch with a spread of mcdonald's, cookies, and cupcakes.

sydney tells us all the details of her after-dance experience while emily gives us a much more vague overview of her night. i want to talk about mine, but i don't want to at the the same time. it's becoming increasingly harder to keep so much of it a secret.

"so, what about you, tyler? don't think you can evade the interrogation. how'd the jealousy thing go?" sydney asks, raising her eyebrows at me and then shoving a few fries in her mouth.

"well, it definitely worked." i feel my cheeks burn and avoid eye contact, looking down at the box of chicken nuggets in my lap.

"ooo, so would i be correct in assuming that's his hoodie?" emily asks.

"maybe." i answer quietly, shrugging a little as a telling smile creeps onto my face.

sydney slaps his arm. "tyler, you whore! i'm so happy for you! did you guys hookup or what?"

"no, but we did kiss."

"shut up!" emily's hand comes up to cover her mouth.

"oh my god. don't yell! i'm not supposed to tell anyone."

"oh, come on! we won't tell anyone. how was it?"

i feel my smile grow wider and i lean back against the couch, staring up at the ceiling. "god, it was amazing. he's so perfect."

"i am so good. wow. big brain moment. i am a mastermind," sydney says, stealing one of my nuggets.

"thank you for your help, syd. really."

"of course! i'm glad i could help make you happy, ty. i expect to be a groomsmaid though."

"oo, me too!"

"duh."

we enjoy the rest of our night, exchanging presents, gossip, and laughter. then eventually, we all go to bed.

as i'm about to fall asleep, my phone buzzes and creates a small bit of light in the room.

j: goodnight, sweetheart. i hope you had fun with your friends.

tyler: i did :,) goodnight j

i press send and put my phone back down, an embarrassing, warm smile on my face.

-

i spend the thirtieth working another double.

j: you've been working a lot of doubles lately

tyler: well i missed a lot for the dance and friendsmas, plus i had to take off tomorrow night too

j: hm. as soon as they leave on the first, i'm coming to get my new years kiss.

tyler: i'll look forward to it.

i feel myself smiling as my cheeks stain pink.

jenna elbows my side gently. "who's got you blushing like that, huh? i bet i have a good guess."

"am i that obvious?"

"oh, ty. i could smell the lovesick on you a mile away."

-

"are you sure you can't ask him to get us even a single bottle of champagne? pleeeeaaaseeee?"

"oh my god. no. i don't want him to think i'm just using him or something." i throw a piece of popcorn at sydney and it lands in her hair.