4

tyler's point of view

"that was him?" jenna asks, finishing up the dishes.

"yeah." i nod, already opening my locker to grab my things. "i can't believe that happened. i wonder if that was his girlfriend."

"i don't think so. i'm pretty sure she swings the other way," she says.

"i don't think that makes it any less awkward."

"i didn't say it did." she follows me outside with a smile. "if i didn't know better, i'd think you might be a tad bit jealous."

"why would i be jealous? that makes zero sense," i retort. my cheeks betray me by burning a light pink.

"sure. i'll see you tomorrow, tyler." jenna laughs a little to herself and gets into her car, shaking her head.

on my drive home, i can't help but replay what she said over and over.

i'm not jealous. i don't even know him. just because i think he's kind of (really) attractive doesn't mean i like him. he's my teacher. that's... weird. i don't have time for a relationship with someone my own age, much less a teacher.

whatever.

when i get home, i knock my homework out pretty quickly. it hasn't piled up too much yet since we're still just at the beginning of the school year.

after that, i get into bed and pull my phone out to text my groupchat with emily and sydney.

tyler: guess what

sydney: ur pregnant

tyler: okay fine i wont tell you

emily: thats not fair!! i want to know :(

tyler: okay emily you can know

sydney: ill kill u

tyler: guess who showed up to the restaurant tonight

sydney: taylor swift

tyler: dude i hate you

emily: who

tyler: mr dun

sydney: NO WAY KEIDNWIFKF WHAT

emily: omg ?????

tyler: yeah he was w some girl but jen said she thinks the girl is gay so i dont think it was his gf

sydney: what happened what did he say what did he order what was he wearing

tyler: he just walked up and they both ordered and then i brought them their food it wasnt really that eventful

tyler: he did give me a really good tip though

emily: omg

sydney: what was he wearing

tyler: why does it matter? do you even know what he looks like?

sydney: yes i saw him in the office using the printer today during forth period

emily: why were you in the office??

sydney: i had to get tylenol from the nurse </3

tyler: he was just wearing jeans and a tshirt

tyler: he has a sleeve actually

sydney: A W H A T

emily: holy shit

sydney: frothing at the mouth

emily: syd please calm down

sydney: sorry mom

tyler: you guys are dumb

emily: was it a cool tattoo

tyler: yeah it was really colorful but i didnt get a good look at it

sydney: you guys are so lucky

tyler: yes im so lucky obviously

emily: do you guys want to hang out tomorrow

tyler: its my only day off so i am down to hang but i dont want to do anything yk

emily: can we come over and watch twilight

tyler: sure

sydney: party at tylers 🥳

tyler: goodnight my wife and child

emily: goodnight husband

sydney: night dad

-

"it is too early," i open the door to emily standing in pajamas with her tote-bag and a box of donuts.

"never too early for donuts with my husband." she smiles and steps in, leaving her things on my kitchen counter. "the movies are in my bag. syd should be here soon but we agreed on pjs for the day."

"sounds good to me." i take one of the donuts and have a bite. "jesus, i haven't had one of these in forever."

"a sad life you lead, tyler joseph."

"i know, i know."

she's not wrong.

emily and sydney were my very first friends in elementary school. i never bothered to make any more after that. they were there to support me through the legal process i had to go through to be emancipated, they helped me move all my things and build all my furniture. they gave me rides until i got my car. i don't know where i'd be without them.

sydney shows up half an hour later with three coffees in a cardboard drink carrier. "i know i'm late but i did bring starbucks for us." she sets it on the table and then hands me and emily our drinks.

we make our way to my living room and come to sit on my couch in our usual spots after emily puts the first disc in my dvd player.

the movie starts and we recite the first line in unison.

"i'd never given much thought to how i would die, but dying in the place of someone i love seems like a good way to go."

this is not our first twilight binge and it definitely won't be our last.

-

"i can't believe edward jacob was the other option," emily scoffs. "that's almost just as terrible."

"i feel like ej would call me slurs," i add.

"definitely," sydney agrees.

"to be fair, if we didn't know each other, i'd probably say you look like someone who'd call me slurs too."

"i'd never," she yawns and leans her head on my shoulder.

"are we ready for a midday nap, lady and gent?" emily asks.

"only if we can migrate to tyler's bed first."

"sounds good to me. you guys woke me up too early to sit through five movies. we can reconvene afterwards."

we all head to my room and lay down with me in the middle, emily to my left, and sydney to my right. emily cuddles up next to me, draping an arm over my torso while sydney lays on her stomach with one arm hanging off the side of the bed.

it's cramped and the smell of stale coffee now lingers around us, but i wouldn't trade the moment for anything. i love my friends.

(an: shorter chapter but i love twilight and i will continue to fit it into every story i possibly can 🫶🏻)