Chapter 4

Chapter Four

First Year

Over a month passed. It was Halloween, or better known as my birthday. My family never made a big deal about my birthday, but always made a big deal about Halloween. When I was little they used to throw a massive Halloween ball for all of their work friends, unfortunately forgetting about me. I used to pretend the ball was my birthday party. Silvius was normally the only one who remembered. Today I turned twelve. I was one of the oldest in my year because most of them will still be eleven.

I've spent most of my time with Jake these past few weeks at Hogwarts. He's basically become my best friend. Although he was older than me, we had a lot in common. We went swimming in the Black Lake one hot day. It was his idea, he said that he misses the Hawaiian waters so the cold lake would have to do. Dasha and Eowyn were the best roommates you could ask for. We got along so well despite having such different personalities. I've also become 'acquaintances' with Harry Potter. We didn't go out of our ways to speak to each other much but the friendly smile in the hallway was always there. Harry was a really cool guy for being famous. I would have pictured him to be rather arrogant, but he was just the opposite. I've gotten threats from Draco every time I was seen near Harry. So we never got around to hanging out much. Whenever Draco wasn't around, I would go over to talk to Harry if he was alone.

The only person Draco never said anything about is Jake. My guess was that Draco is rather intimidated by Jake because he never said anything when I was around him. I could see why though. Jake was tall and muscular for only being in fourth year.  As for Draco, he got worse every day. I tried to avoid him but it seemed impossible. He used the blackmail against me daily. "Do my Potions essay." "Go get me this book from the Library." "Move out of my way." Although they were minor, most of the time, they were still enough to drive me insane. He was always making fun of me in the common room, but I couldn't respond which drove me crazy because I have a response to everything.

I also beat Jake's record of getting more than twenty-four detentions in the first month. Unintentionally speaking out of line in class, forgetting to doing my homework, destroying classroom items by accident, and being late or not even showing up to my morning classes. None of this was on purpose. Missing homework was normally Draco's fault anyway, because he would make me do his if he was running behind. Luckily, the teachers never owled my parents, not yet anyways.

It was a Sunday morning. I got up actually in a good mood today considering it was my birthday. It was my first birthday away from home. When I opened my eyes, I saw Eowyn and Dasha sitting at the end of my bed. "Happy Birthday!" they yelled. "Now get dressed and come open your presents downstairs!" Eowyn said. Presents?

I walked downstairs dressed in my dark jeans and a plain maroon sweater. "Carlie!" Eowyn called. "Over here. Open mine first!" She said thrusting a box into my hands wrapped in shiny green paper. I sat down and opened it up. Inside the large box was a very small red eraser and a container of ink. Eowyn looked at me wide-eyed.

"Er, thanks!" I said trying to sound happy. She was obviously fooled by it.

"It's the new edition revealer," she said in a gleeful tone. "Isn't it great? They haven't reached the public market yet. My dad got it! And that's a bottom of invisible ink."" A revealer? Well I guess it's better than an eraser. I wanted to laugh, leave it to Eowyn to buy me invisible ink, what is the point of it if you can't see it. Even if it was an eraser, I was still happy to be remembered.