Chapter XII

Waking up was quite a bit odd when she felt someone stroking her feathers. She opened her eyes to find Cody sitting there and stroking her along her neck, enjoying the feeling of her soft feathers.

"You're so soft." Cody spoke as he enjoyed feeling her.

Lifting her head up, she grabbed Cody by the back of his shirt and tossed him onto her back, as he landed holding onto her. "Whoa, cool. I get why you wanted to sleep down here."

Julie croaked in agreement, as she watched him sit there stroking her wings.

"What the heck?" Someone cried out. "Do you have to fill up the whole bunker with your...form?"

Julie turned to find Kade hopping out of Heatwave, having just pulled back in from the night shift he had to do.

"Kade, you don't have to be mean." Cody cried, looking at his brother. "You should feel her feathers, I kind of like her different forms.

"Whoa, is that you Clara?" Dani asked as she walked in with Graham and the Chief.

Julie croaked in response as she looked at them, finding the bots transforming and joining them. She extended her left wing since it was closer to them, offering them a chance to feel her feathers.

"Ooo, can I touch?" Blades asked as he walked over.

Julie nodded as he reached out and stroked her wing, feeling her membrane of her wing. Immediately both Graham and Dani ran over to touch as well. Dani stroked the feathers by her chest as Graham seemed to be studying her wing.

"I hope you slept well last night. You sure seem to enjoy transforming into different animals. It explains why you didn't want to sleep in the bedroom." Chief Burns chuckled as he looked at her form.

Julie reached her neck out and knowing he'd be too formal, allowed her beak to touch his hand, giving him enough of the urge to reach out and stroke her.

"Kade you got to feel for yourself. It's so soft." Dani cried, looking over at her tired brother.

"Nah, I'm good. I don't need to get near that, uh, bird. I'm off to find some breakfast." Kade replied, walking over to the same box they all just came from.

"Exactly what type of bird would be that size?" Boulder asked, looking at her.

"Based on her color coordination and the size, I believe she shifted into a phoenix, which is a make-believe animal people have used in stories." Graham explained.

Julie nodded as she reached over and picked up Cody, setting him back down onto the floor beside his siblings. Shaking her wings, she stretched her neck out a little bit, getting rid of the excess sleep on her muscles, before she shifted back into her normal self, without her wings as she landed on the floor in front of them.

"Awe, Heatwave you should have totally felt how soft she was." Blades cried.

"He's not gonna, both Kade and Heatwave are too cool to show interest in anything cute or cuddly." Julie commented, waving Blade's suggestion off. "Besides, I'm sure he would like an hour of recharge after dealing with Kade all night."

Heatwave flashed his headlights in agreement as he sat there in his alt mode. Just before an alert went off about someone calling for a rescue. Chief Burns went to answer it as they stood there watching.

"Emergency dispatch, go ahead." Chief Burns spoke, before holding the phone away from his face. Julie was able to hear it clear as day, while the others weren't able to pick up what was going on, due to how far away Chief Burns stood from them.

"Send the entire rescue force."

"Mrs. Nederlander, alright, stay calm."

"My life hands in the balance, you must come or else."

"Mrs Nederlander...hello?" Chief Burns asked as the other side of the conversation went silent. "She hung up. We need to get to Mrs. Nederlander's pronto. Clara, you're riding with me."

"Why does she get to come?" Kade cried as he approached them.

"Cody, you're at the command center."

"Got it."

"Team, let's roll."

Julie and the others ran to get into the Rescue Bots vehicle modes as Kade was clearly still upset. "Since when is the freak a part of the team?" He yelled, running to get into Heatwave's alt mode.

"Can it, Kade. We'll talk about this later." Chief Burns cried as they took off out of the firehouse and into town. Driving at high speed, with Blades and Dani flying above. Julie sat there, patiently as they rode toward Mrs. Nederlander's house.

"Okay, I can see Mrs. Nederlander's house now, nothing looks out of the ordinary." Cody spoke on the radio.

"There could be a fire inside." Kade commented.

"Burglars." Dani mentioned.

"A busted pipe." Graham joined in.

Chase quickly pulled over followed by Heatwave and Boulder at the house, Julie quickly jumped out of Chase's altmode as Chief Burns ran toward the house. Blades landing nearby in the process.

"Finally, you took so long to get here, I assumed I'd have to save Mr. Petty Paws myself." Someone cried above them, as Julie recognized the treebranch she was on. Quickly leaping across Chase's hood, she ran forward, jumping up into the air just as the branch broke, catching Mrs. Nederlander with a ninja hook of hers dug into the trunk of the tree, holding onto the tree and the woman.

"Let go of me, you miscreant." Mrs. Nederlander cried as Julie held onto the tree while handing her off to Chief Burns who helped grab her. Getting slapped on the side of the face by the old woman, Julie bit her lip to avoid doing anything rash.

"Uh, she just saved you from falling down." Kade defended, surprising Julie, but she didn't care as she climbed up the tree toward where a white cat was sitting above in a tree branch.

"Mr. Petty Paws is the one who needs saving. Oh, my baby." The woman cried below her as the cat watched her. "EMERGENCY!"

"Some people have a strange idea of what constitutes an emergency." Graham mention below as she climbed.

Julie silently climbed up the tree and lent a hand out towards the cat, who instantly hopped onto her arm, sitting down on the back of her shoulders, while she climbed down. The cat licking her cheek as she climbed in the same spot that Mrs. Nederlander had just slapped her. Hopping out of the tree, she put her ninja stars away, as the cat climbed into her arms and laid there belly up, purring as loud as could be.

"That's one way to say thank you." Dani commented as Julie gently handed the cat to Mrs. Nederlander. Who grabbed the cat and marched away into her house, leaving them watching.

"Does that hurt, Julie?" Chief Burns asked, as he walked over to her.

"I wasn't paying attention. I was more focused on getting the two down from the tree." She replied, not wanting to focus on the negative, as she walked over toward Chase's alt mode, hopping back in to head back to the base. "And please, it's Clara, not Julie."

"I think that rescue definitely constituted a thanks, Clara." Chase spoke, as she sat down.

"It doesn't matter Chase. Sometimes people will thank you for a deed, but there are those who won't. There's nothing you can do about it. It's just the way people are."

The others got into the bots' alt modes, before they all headed back to the firehouse.