Chapter 7: Saving Christmas

Third Person POV

After Scott created the perfect night for Carol, the two of them returned to her home. Carol felt like she could walk on air with how happy she felt when she was with Scott. But, Scott knew that he was now out of magic and running out of time.

"There are things about me you should know. Personal things," Scott said to Carol, who was lying down on her couch.
"We don't need to rush things, Scott," Carol told Scott.
"I think you need to know these things because it doesn't just concern me, it's about my daughter too," Scott said in a serious tone.
"Okay," Carol said as she sat up on the couch.
"Um...remember the mistletoe, how it just showed up?" asked Scott.
"Yes," Carol nodded.
"And the sleigh. How magical that was?"
"Yes."
"Secret Santa Claus? That was me," Scott confessed.
"Yeah?" Carol smiled as she tapped her feet against the couch in a child-like way. Scott tried to word his next few sentences carefully.
"I'm not this size much. I'm usually much bigger than this," Scott said.
"So am I sometimes," Carol said with a jokingly smile.
"I have a big white beard that's beautiful and Stella has these very pretty pointy ears."
"I don't have either of those," Carol said with a small smile as she shook her head.
"Stella and I work a long way from home. When we do get back home, we sleep for a long time," Scott told her.
"See? OK. It's not so bad so far. You and Stella work far away from home and you sleep a lot. Hey. You've never been to prison and you don't wear socks with sandals," Carol said, jokingly.
"Well..." Scott trailed. Carol laughed. Scott sighed and decided to just spill it out.
"I'm Santa Claus."
"What?" Carol asked as her jaw hung a little open.
"The suit, the red suit's real. The North Pole is a place. There are elves. They make toys. They're beautiful and it's real. And Stella...Stella is Christmas Spirit Herself. All those stories you read about her and me, they're real. She exists. I exist," Scott said.
"That's not funny, Scott," Carol said, uneasily.
"It's magical," Scott continued.
"Okay, cut it out," Carol warned.
"I'm telling you the truth," Scott tried to reassure Carol.
"I told you something personal from my childhood and now you're making a joke out of it and it's not funny. It hurts," Carol said in a hurt tone.
"I know how hard this is to believe, but connect the dots. Think about all the things that have happened with me–"
"I know what's going on," Carol stood up.
"Think about the little girl. Think about–I have a watch."
"You felt something for me. And now you're acting like a mental patient because you're scared," Carol told Scott.
"I'm not scared. I deliver gifts all over the world in a sleigh pulled by reindeer. Stella helps me," Scott defended.
"Incredible," Carol whispered as she turned around.
"I go down chimneys with burning logs and I still deliver gifts. I'm not scared. That's not what this is, Carol," Scott said as Carol grabbed Scott's jacket from the railing of her staircase and handed it to him.
"If you're trying to push me away, it's working," Carol said as she opened the front door and stood behind it, staring Scott dead in the eye.

"Carol, don't make me leave. Please," Scott pleaded. Carol said nothing as she held the door open, waiting for Scott to leave, which he eventually did. And when he came home, of course things didn't get any better when he found out Charlie was the one who threw the snowballs at Carol's house and now he knew what his Dad was trying to do with her, which caused an argument between them.

"How could you pick her?" Charlie yelled.
"I didn't pick her," Scott defended.
"You don't care anymore!" Charlie pushed.
"Charlie, I care more about you and your sister than anybody else," Scott said as he got off the couch. "But, it's a two-way street. What am I supposed to do if you won't confide in me."
"Alright, you want it?" Charlie asked.
"Yeah."
"Well, here it is," Charlie said, loudly. Scott shushed him to be quieter and pushed him aside.
"What is it? Talk to me," Charlie told his only son.
"Okay, I don't live a normal life," Charlie said, frustratedly.
"You live a great life here," Scott said, defensively.
"No, no. Just listen to me!" Charlie yelled. "My friends get to go around saying, you know, My dad's a plumber. My dad's a pilot. My dad's a dentist. And some of them who have older sisters like me say My sister's a nurse, my sister's a lawyer, my sister is a vet. And you know what? My dad and my sister are the best thing of all and I can't tell anyone about it," Charlie said as he started to cry. Charlie sighed. "And you have no idea how hard that is, walking around with that secret for all these years. And now on top of everything, you're going out with Principal Newman! I mean, and you don't even tell me about it," Charlie cried. "My whole life has become all bout secrets, and I hate it!"
Scott looked at Charlie and shook his head. "I'm sorry," he said. Charlie shook his head. "Forget about Principal Newman, all right? And forget about Santa. I'm done. My time's up," Scott said nonchalantly before he looked at his watch.
"Who cares anymore?" Charlie said with a sniffle before he walked away. Little did both of them know that Stella was stuck at the North Pole, weakening because Scott had given up.