Chapter 7: More Soup

I got better within the next week. Of course that included me having Bernard bring me more magical soup and, no I didn't tell him that I found out what Bella Stella meant. I kept that to myself. I wonder if that meant Bernard liked me–no, I shouldn't think of such a thing. I mean, yes, he's cute and nice and all, but he's hundreds of years older than me.

One weekend, Dad, Charlie and I went to the zoo as the snow started to melt. Charlie was eager to see the polar bears so we went to the Polar Bear exhibit.
"They're like the bears at the North Pole, Dad," said Charlie as he admired the swimming polar bear.
"Charlie, I already told ya. We did not go to the North Pole," Dad sighed. "That was a dream."
"You're in denial, Dad," said Charlie.
"Denial. You don't even know what that means," my dad said as he leaned forward towards Charlie.
"Well, you are. I know what happened," Charlie said, his voice echoed due to the fact we were in a cave.
"How do you know that? How? You don't have any proof," dad said. I rolled my eyes at him.
"Proof?" Charlie said as he took out his backpack.
"Why can't we both think of it as just a great dream or game or whatever and forget about it?" asked Dad.
"Dad, how can three people share the same dream? And the only reason why I said it was a game was to try and keep us out of trouble and look at what that did for us," I said as I crossed my arms.
"What about this? Remember all the neat stuff inside?" Charlie said as he took out his snow globe that Bernard had given him.
"And what about my necklace? Just a tap would send Bernard or someone of the Effective Liberating Flight Squad to come and tend to me when I'm sick or in danger," I said as I showed my Christmas Star necklace to him.
"Guys, those are toys. We used to make things like those at work, but no one bought 'em," Dad said as he took Charlie's snow globe and held it up before giving it back. "Here. I don't wanna talk about this any more."

We soon left the zoo and started to take a walk.
"We know who you are, Dad. You'll figure it out soon enough. There are a lot of kids that believe in you. You can't let them down," Charlie said as we walked.
"Charlie, you're wrong," Dad told Charlie. A moaning sound came from behind us and Charlie and I turned around to see a flock of reindeer trailing after us. Charlie and I exchanged looks and giggled.
"What's so funny?" asked Dad.
"Nothing," Charlie and I said in unison.

Soon enough the snow melted completely. I haven't gotten my next round of illness yet, but something told me it would be very soon and very sudden like last time.
It was a weekend, which meant Dad would be taking Charlie and I out for ice cream or something. I finished getting ready and I made my way downstairs. I then heard Neal and Charlie have another conversation about Santa Claus. I stopped near the edge of the stairs to eavesdrop.

"Charlie, it's just not logical. How can one man in one night...visit all the children of the world?" asked Neal.
"Not everyone celebrates Christmas. And I think there's some sort of time continuum that breaks down once Santa's in his sleigh," Charlie replied. I smiled to myself. He wasn't going to let Neal break him.
"What about fireplaces? A lot of people don't have them," Neal pressed on as he walked over to the fireplace.
"He turns into Jell-O and–" Charlie made a slurping noise. "The fireplace kind of appears, and he goes through it like this," Charlie made a sound and gesture with his arm.
"What about the reindeer?" asked Neal. "Have you ever seen a reindeer fly?"
"Yes," Charlie simply replied.
"Well, I haven't," Neal replied in almost a whiny and childish way.
"Have you ever seen a million dollars?" asked Charlie. I smirked.
"No," Neal replied.
"Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist," Charlie said. I mentally gave Charlie a high-five on that one.
"--Hey, Neal. Howdy, sport," came my dad's voice. "Where's your sister?"
Right on cue I came downstairs.
"Right here, dad," I said.
"You wanna take a walk? I wanna talk to you both," said dad.
"Sure. I'll get my coat," Charlie said, getting up. I went to the coat rack and grabbed my coat as well.
"Okay. Hustle up," my dad said to us.
"--Scott? Can I have a minute?" asked Neal. I stopped and backed up against the wall to eavesdrop once more.
"Sure," my dad replied.
"I think Charlie is conflicted at the moment," said Neal.
"Wow. Really? Boy. Hmm. Appreciate your analysis. I really do. But, boy, you got more important things to worry about, you know. Like, where are you gonna get more sweaters after the circus pulls outta town?" my dad replied sarcastically. I snickered.
"Scott! I mean, you're not listening. We are very concerned about this," my mom stressed.
"Concerned about what?" my dad asked, getting annoyed.
"This–" my mom stammered.
"If Charlie spending time with you is the best thing for him," Neal interjected. My jaw dropped and my blood boiled. They better not be thinking about doing what I think they're thinking about doing. Just then, dad left the room and walked right past me, not knowing I was there. I walked out into the hallway right behind him. 

My Christmas Star ( A Santa Clause Story Ft Bernard x OC)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara