Chapter 64

"What the patient is experiencing right now is a temporary loss of memory," paliwanag ng doktor pagkatapos suriin si Mia.

Micheal was earnestly listening. He wanted to hear every little detail about his wife and her progress. Now that Mia was finally awake, and that she hadn't forgotten him, he could breathe a sigh of relief. Whew! That was close. For a moment, he thought that she had acquired amnesia. And it was another blow that he would surely struggle with. They'd been through a lot already, and all he wanted was for his ordeal to end. But thank God! Mia could still remember him. And she was doing fine now.

"Which is just normal," the doctor continued. "Her brain suffered trauma. She had been through a lot since her accident and bone marrow transplant. But don't worry, she'll recover soon. All of her memories will come back again. Little by little."

He saw the look of confusion on her face while she was listening to the doctor. He knew that it was hard for her to catch up, to digest everything that very moment, but she would eventually understand fully soon. She just needed to remember everything. And he would help her.

Pagkatapos masuri ng doktor si Mia ay umalis na ito. Muli na naman silang naiwang mag-isa sa loob ng silid. He took her hand and held her gently.

"Micheal..." nakakunot ang noong tanong nito sa kanya. "Anong ibig sabihin ng doctor sa narinig kong bone marrow transplant?"

He just smiled at her gently, his eyes were full of patience and understanding. Alam na ni Mia na naaksidente ito. Kaya ito nasa ospital. Pero hindi pa rin nito alam ang ibang detalye sa buhay nito.

Marahan niyang pinisil ang palad ng asawa. "We discovered that you're suffering from leukemia when you had an accident," pagpapaliwanag niya. "You had a bone marrow transplant while you're in a comma. The doctors needed to do that to save your life. You've been in a very complicated situation, Mia," he brought her hand to his lips. "But all's well that ends well. Look at you, you look radiant now. Wala ka na sa kritikal na sitwasyon. You only have to recuperate from now on. And you'll be okay. Thank God!"

She took a deep breath. Parang nangangapa pa rin ito. Then, she tried to sit up while she was lying on the bed. And isang kamay nito na walang dextrose ay napahaplos sa tiyan nito. And he saw the look of surprise on her face when she felt her baby bump. Nagtatakang napatingin ito sa kanya habang kinakapa ang tiyan. Parang naninibago ito sa katawan.

A lump formed in his throat as he looked at her. "You're pregnant, hon..." nananakit ang lalamunang wika niya. "Our baby is as strong as you. You've been through a lot, but she remained in your tummy, fighting for her own life, clinging to you as best as she could." Hinaplos niya ang hindi pa kalakihang umbok sa tiyan ng asawa.

"I'm pregnant?" hindi makapaniwalang bulalas nito. She went back lying on the bed. Pero haplos-haplos nito ang tiyan na parang pinakikiramdaman ang buhay na nasa sinapupunan nito.

"Yes," he confirmed emotionally. "You're four months pregnant. Soon, you'll give birth to our baby..."

"Oh!" She looked as if lost. Pero maya-maya ay napasinghap ito. "I felt something..." anito na tila namamangha. "Parang may pumipitik sa tiyan ko, Micheal..."

"That's our baby, Mia," wika niya habang marahang hinahaplos ang tiyan ng asawa. Marahan niyang hinalikan ang baby bump nito.

"Oh my God! I'm really pregnant!" she exclaimed. Her eyes crinkled. She looked so happy now that she was pregnant, that there was a baby inside her womb – their baby.

"That's little Mia saying hello Mommy and Daddy," malapad ang ngiting pahayag niya. "Hello there, baby..." Muli niyang hinalikan ang tiyan nito.

"She's a girl?" namamangha na namang tanong ni Mia.

"Yep. Your mini me. For sure!" nakangiting sagot niya. Ngayon pa lamang ay hindi na yata siya makapaghintay na manganak ang asawa at maging isa na siyang ganap na ama.

Tila tuwang-tuwang patuloy nitong hinahaplos at pinakikiramdaman ang tiyan. She was amazed by the discovery. Pero maya-maya ay napapikit ito na tila nahihilo.

"Hey, are you okay? Mia?" nag-aalalang tanong niya. She didn't answer. Nanatili lamang itong nakapikit. Parang gusto na tuloy niyang mag-panic. What the hell was happening to her?

Nang magmulat ito ng mga mata ay tila napuno ng pag-aalala ang kanina ay kumikislap sa tuwang mga mata nito. "Micheal..." her voice was unstable when she spoke. "How's my mother? Nasaan si Mama? I wana see her..."

He swallowed hard. Nanigas ang mga kalamnan niya. This was the moment he dreaded. The time when Mia would ask about her mother.

He swallowed hard again. The rush of emotions in his chest overwhelmed him. For a moment, he couldn't speak. He just looked at her as he tried to grope for the appropriate words to say to his wife.