Chapter 58

Haggard na haggard siya nang sumugod sa private office ng kinakapatid pagkatapos makatanggap ng tawag mula rito. Pinapapapunta siya sa opisina nito at may importante raw silang pag-uusapan. "Kamusta ang asawa ko, Denzil?" kaagad na tanong niya. His expression was haunting, and he did not know what to do. Nasilip na niya si Mia sa ICU kanina, and his heart was breaking at the sight of her. She looked almost lifeless as she lay in a hospital bed while under life support.

"Maupo ka, Micheal." Sandaling itinigil ni Denzil ang ginagawa.

Wala sa sariling umupo siya sa upuang nasa harapan ng mesa nito. "Okay na ba ang kalagayan ng asawa ko, Denz?" muling tanong niya. He wanted to hear good news.

"Sa ngayon ay stable na ang kalagayan niya. We have already monitored increased level in her brain activity, and that's a good sign. Meaning, Mia is responding to her medication."

Nakahinga siya nang maluwag sa narinig. Thank God!

"I already have the results of her various tests -blood test, CT Scan, and everything that we've conducted on her. Fortunately, there's no internal bleeding in her head that may significantly affect her brain. But there's something that you need to know." Naging seryoso sa puntong iyon ang ekspresiyon ni Denzil habang nakatitig sa kanya.

And he had a bad feeling about it. Muli na namang parang nalagay sa bingit ng alanganin ang kanyang paghinga. "What do I need to know, Denz?" he wasn't breathing when he asked that.

"Masyadong mababa ang hemoglobin count ni Mia, JM. And it's very alarming."

Nagkasalubong ang mga kilay niya.

"She's sick. Her condition will affect how she would cope up and bounce back in the coming days. She's vulnerable to complications."

"What... do you mean?" Parang ayaw na namang mag-function ng utak niya. His heart was pounding heavily in anxiety.

"JM, Mia is suffering from a very serious illness," seryosong wika nito. "But I'm not yet one hundred percent sure as of the moment. I want you to seek for a second opinion about this."

"She's sick?" nalilitong wika niya. "Naaksidente siya, Denz-"

"It has nothing to do with the accident," putol nito sa kanya. "She's already sick prior to her accident. Do you know anything about it?"

Mariin siyang napailing. "No. Mia didn't tell me anything. I don't know that she's sick," nalilitong sagot niya. He really had no idea! Christ! Then, he remembered how she looked pale the last few days. Mukha ngang maysakit ito. But Mia assured him that she was fine. He believed her. But it turned out that she was, indeed, sick.

Denzil drew a sharp breath. "Dalawang beses akong nagpakuha ng blood sample ni Mia, JM, just to make sure that we have the same results. And we did. We even took a sample of her bone marrow, too. That's why it took me a longer time to talk to you. I don't wana talk to you unless I'm quite sure about what we're going to discuss." He rummaged through the papers that he was holding. Then, he looked at her with intimidating seriousness. "The results showed that Mia was suffering from a sickle cell disease, and it developed an anomaly. Now, it mutated into something more serious and deadly. Leukemia, JM. Mia has leukemia right now. It's very aggressive, and the rare type, the one that can only be treated by a bone marrow transplant, which is a tedious and a very sensitive form of treatment by the way."

Napatanga siya sa narinig. Maysakit ang asawa niya? May leukemia ito? Ilang minuto siyang hindi nakahuma. Then, he blinked his eyes in exasperation. God! Mia was sick? He was appalled by the discovery. May malala itong sakit maliban pa sa mga pinsala nitong natamo mula sa pagka-aksidente nito? Oh, good grief, but this was too much! His wife was suffering too much! And it was killing him.