Part 27

Ana’s POV

Diary Entry – 12/20

Dear Diary,

Hello there! Guess what. Guess, guess, guess! Give up? It’s almost Christmas! The best time of the year! I’ve been blasting Christmas songs all day and singing at the top of my lungs. Seriously, my dad invested in some earplugs. Smart man.

I’m not sure what I’m doing for Christmas; definitely not family stuff. Last year A and P spent the night and we watched Christmas movies. Lame, I know. This year..hmmm…Light bulb! Christmas caroling! Ohhh that sounds fun! I could even try to get Rowland to come sing with us!

Rowland…

Rowland, Rowland, Rowland. What to do about him? Last night at his place, well, what can I say? That night was REALLY fun, but should it have been? I mean, Lewis and I never discussed seeing other people before he left. I mean, I know Lewis is gone, but I feel like I’m cheating on him when I’m with Rowland. I wonder if Lewis feels the same way when he’s with other girls. Is he with other girls? I hope not… but saying that makes me a hypocrite, doesn’t it? Ugh, I really need completely boy-free weekend (excluding Patrick and Charlie, gay boys don’t count). I think I’ll call up some people and see about that…it sounds like fun.

Sigh. Diary, you get me though so many tough times. Maybe one day I won’t have any more tough times and I won’t need you. In that case, maybe I’ll burn you. No offense, I’d just rather not have anyone reading what I’ve written in you. I’m sure you understand.

Until next time,

Ana

“Grandma got run over by a reindeer, coming home from our house Christmas Eve! You can say there’s no such thing as Santa, but as for me and grandpa we—“

“Anabel,” Marissa popped her head into my room, looking serious. “I don’t mean to offend you but please, please, please stop singing Christmas music! I swear, it’s giving me a headache!” I opened my mouth to answer, but she interrupted me before I had the chance. “Thanks, I knew you’d understand!” She smiled and turned to leave.

“You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch. You really are a heel! You’re as cuddly as a cactus; you’re as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch!” I sang as loudly as I possibly could just to get on her nerves, and it worked.

“SHUT UP!”

 Success! Maybe I should start a garage band and have practices in my garage just to get under her skin…

Not that I hated Marissa or anything, but her personality really took a dive after she found out the truth about Lewis. Honestly Lady, don’t act all high and mighty when you’re planning on marrying a guy 20 years older than you!

No joke, I looked at my dad’s license to see his age, and he’s 43. She’s 22. Yuck. Can you imagine what—

Don’t even think about that, Ana. Get the bad thoughts out of your mind.

I think I’m going to go throw up now…

Rowland’s POV

“Christmas caroling, huh?”

“Yes, it will be fun! We can go door to door and sing our hearts out to random people!” Ana was sitting across from me at the little diner near my apartment. She looked so excited about her idea; I had to go along with it.

“Sounds…fun…”

“I knew you would think so!” She leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. She kept doing that sort of thing, giving me little kisses, and I didn’t mind, believe me, but it confused me as well. Did she like me, or was she just kissing me because…well…I don’t know, just because? Girls aren’t usually too confusing, but Ana was definitely one of a kind.

“So when are we doing this caroling thing?”

She looked at me like I was an idiot. Did I say something wrong?

“Um, Christmas, I’d assume?” Oh, woops. Maybe I was a bit of an idiot…

“Oh, I knew that. I was just, uh… nice weather today, huh?” Face palm. Real smooth, Rowland. Real smooth.

“Rowland, it’s kind of pouring rain outside…” Oh, right.

“Well, I like the rain.”

Her eyes grew bright. “You do? Me too!” Her eyes widened with excitement. “Let’s go to the beach!”

“In the rain?” This girl was just a little crazy…

“Yes, in the rain! When it’s raining nobody goes to the beach,” For good reason, “so it’s completely empty and it’s so much more fun that way! Come on, please!” She gave me puppy dog eyes. I couldn’t resist.

I took a couple bills out of my wallet to pay for our meal, left them where we were sitting, and followed Ana out.

The rain really was pouring down. I could hardly see Ana, and she was only about a foot in front of me. Of course she made us walk there, too. Typical Anabel.

She was right; the beach was better in the rain. It was completely abandoned, not a soul in sight, and being alone with Ana-well that was just the cherry on top. She was laughing and spinning in circles, her tongue sticking out to catch raindrops. She was soaked to the bone and she was loving it. Pure bliss.

Next thing I knew she was beside me, shivering with a huge smile plastered on her face.

“You were right about the beach in the rain.” I whispered in her ear, and was pleased to notice she shivered again, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t from the cold this time.

“I’m always right. You should know that by now!” she giggled, before sighing deeply.

“What are you sighing about?” I put my arm around her waist, pulling her in close. It felt right, holding her tightly.

“I was just thinking, remembering.”

“Childhood memories?”

“Yea. When I was a little girl, I always dreamed of having my first kiss in the rain.”

“And was your first kiss like that?” She looked a little sad now.

“No. I had my first kiss right over there.” She pointed to a section of the beach beneath the pier. Hmmm…was her first kiss with Lewis? Well that wasn’t fair. I wanted to have her first something.

“Have you had that kiss in the rain yet?” She shook her head sadly. Perfect! “Well, that can always change.” She looked up at me, a confused expression on her face. I leaned in towards her, closer, closer, and the moment our lips brushed—

BAM! Lightening.

Ana jumped back, scared, making me chuckle.

“Gives a whole new meaning to making sparks fly, huh?” That got her to smile. “I’m not sure how smart it is to be so close to water during a storm…” The expression on her face went from scared to terrified, so I reassured her. “Don’t worry, we’ll be fine. Let’s just get you home, shall we?”

She hurried back to the car while I walked behind her a little slower. Stupid weather! There I was trying to be romantic. So much for that idea. No worries though, I could tell she was falling for me.

What can I say? I’m just irresistible.