Part 26

Ana’s POV

I woke with a start, not recognizing my surroundings. Wait, this was Rowland’s place. The fire was still burning and there was a lit candle on the coffee table, but that was the only light in the room, so I figured it must still be night. I must have dozed off. Where was Rowland?

Right on cue, he came through a door and noticed I was awake.

“Good evening, sleepyhead!” I yawned and stretched, the blanket falling off me to reveal my bare legs. I quickly spread the blanket over my legs again, embarrassed.

“How long was I asleep?”

“About an hour. I was actually about to have a glass of champagne, but it’s not much fun to drink alone, so do you want some?” Ooo, champagne. I had only had champagne once, but from my memories of it, it wasn’t too bad.

“Sure!” He grinned and went back though the door to what I assumed to be the kitchen. I stifled another yawn and rubbed my eyes, trying to wake myself up when in walked Rowland with a bottle of champagne in one hand and two champagne flutes in the other. He set them down on the coffee table and popped open the champagne bottle, spraying it everywhere. I cracked up laughing as he poured us two glasses.

“What should we toast to?” He asked as he handed me a glass.

“Let’s make a toast to fantastic evenings like this. I hope many more follow!”

“Here here!” He chuckled, raising his glass. We both downed our drink in one gulp, which, although not the proper, polite way to drink champagne, was much more fun. The bubbles went up my nose, making me giggle. Rowland was grinning at me.

“More?” He offered, and of course I accepted.

This went on a few more times. One drink turned into who-knows-how-many, and in the period of an hour we had finished the bottle and were both pretty drunk.

“I think,” I exclaimed, slightly slurring my words. “that champagne is my favorite drink in the whole wide world!”

“Mmm…” Rowland murmured, closing his eyes and leaning back against the couch, a smile on his lips.

Without thinking, I reached up and brushed my fingertip lightly against his bottom lip. He sighed, almost appreciatively and opened his eyes after a moment to look down at me. He then lifted his own hand to my lips and brushed a fingertip against my bottom lip, sending shivers down my spine. His finger lingered, and I put my hand up to touch it.

He let his hand drop after a minute, and I followed suit, a little reluctantly. I moved a little closer to him on the couch and leaned my head on his shoulder.

I felt his hand stroking mine, and looked up at him. His face was only inches from mine and, with only a moment’s thought, I brought my face up to his, lightly kissing him.

It sent a shock through my body, like an electrical impulse, sending a shiver down my spine. Rowland was watching me thoughtfully. Neither of us moved. And then I brought both my hands up and caressed his face, before I leaned in to kiss him again.

This time he met me half way and kissed me back still gently, matching the movement of his lips with mine.

I sat up and placed one leg on his other side so I was on top of him, still not breaking the kiss and running my fingers through his hair. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me in close, gently nibbling on my bottom lip.

I let out a soft moan, and I could feel him smiling through the kiss.

With the encouragement, I began to kiss him with a little more passion, more force, and he immediately responded. He broke off the kiss and began kissing my neck.

Without thinking about what I was doing, I unbuttoned his shirt and he took it off, throwing it off to the side. He put his hands inside my shirt, moving his hands up and preparing to take off my shirt, when suddenly I thought of Lewis.

I broke away from Rowland and pulled my shirt back down. He looked a little confused and hurt.

“I’m really sorry, Rowland. It’s just… I can’t do this. I’m not ready. I know that Lewis and I are over and we’re not going to see each other again, but I-I still have feelings for him. I’m sorry.” I hung my head, feeling ashamed. I shouldn’t have gotten so carried away. Maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe I was just a tease… Now Rowland would be upset with me—

“I understand. Don’t worry about it.” I looked up, shocked. He must have seen the expression on my face, because he laughed. “I’m not a bad guy, Ana. If you aren’t perfectly comfortable with something, just tell me. I won’t get mad.” He smiled a genuine smile up at me, and for a second, just a second, I felt my heart melt. I leaned down and kissed him on the cheek, murmuring,

“Thank you.” As I kissed him. He really was a good guy, deep down. “I think I’m going to go to sleep now.”

“You can have the bed; I’ll sleep on the couch.”

“Really?” He nodded. “Aw, you’re such a gentleman!” I giggled as she showed me to the bedroom.

“I know. Good night, Ana.” He whispered huskily in my ear. I almost turned back around and kissed him, but I forced myself not to. It was too soon. Maybe someday, though…Just maybe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Vote and comment (it makes me feel loved!). Keeo your eyes open for a new story I'll be posting soon about Marilyn Monroe. I'll let you guys know when it's up. Thank you all so much!