Part 23

Lewis’s POV

Normally I’d be excited, thrilled, ecstatic for 6th period but no, today I had to tutor Luanne. Ana was in the room too, so tempting, but I couldn’t touch her or even look at her. It was pure torture.

Luanne fanned herself.

“Is it hot in here?” No, it’s pretty damn cold without Ana’s body heat! I wanted to yell, but of course I couldn’t do that. Instead I had to watch Luanne unbutton yet another button on her shirt; she had already unbuttoned her two top ones. I averted my eyes, pretending instead to be interested in the book of the subject I was meant to be tutoring her in.

“So back to math?” I suggested, hoping she would actually pay attention to my teaching this time, instead of focusing on batting her eyes at me every chance she got. I could see Ana glaring at her from the corner of my eye. She was jealous, how adorable!

I cleared my throat. “Math?” I repeated, trying to sway Luanne’s attention from flirting with me.

“But math is so boring, couldn’t we just, like, talk to each other instead?” She placed her hand on mine and I hastily moved away.

“No, you came in for tutoring so I’m trying to teach you!” I had to stop myself from groaning with impatience. “Come on, what do you need tutoring in?”

“Um,” She giggled stupidly. I really wanted to tell her she was the one who gave blondes a bad name, but I retrained myself. “What about, like, history or something?” Finally, something I could work with.

“Great, what are you struggling with in history?” I checked the clock. Only 20 more minutes of this.

“I don’t know.”

“What are you learning in history right now?” I tried again.

“I don’t know.”

“are you learning about the French Revolution, World War I or II? Any of those?”

“Um, I think we’re learning about some French lady.”

“Marie Antoinette?”

“Yeah, that’s her…I think…” Well that was a start…

Ana’s POV

Luanne. Stupid Luanne. Stupid bitchy Luanne. Stupid bitchy road-kill-whore Luanne. Stupid—the insults could go on forever.

The wind whipped through my hair violently as I walked home. Why did Luanne have to like my man? I mean, she didn’t have a chance with him, but she was all over him right in front of me for an entire hour! It was infuriating! Ugh, now I was getting really angry. Think about the good things that happened at school today. Umm, Patrick and Charlie were officially together. That was a good thing, but they were still getting picked on by this one dumb group of guys that wouldn’t leave them alone. People should really be more understanding and accepting! What else was good today?

I wondered as I walked past an enormous glass beach house. They should really put up curtains if they have transparent walls. I thought to myself. I could see two people arguing inside. I quickly turned my gaze away and looked at the ground, embarrassed to be an onlooker of the fight. The wind started up again, blowing my skirt up. Damn wind!

Back to good things…. Nothing came to mind, really. I mean, the Luanne thing had really bugged me but that had been the only bad thing that happened today, so why couldn’t I think of anything good that happened? How depressing.

I walked a little further, still getting buffeted by the wind, until I noticed a car slowing down next to me. I sped up, and it sped up. And then I recognized the car. It was Rowland’s, and he had come to a stop next to me and was rolling down the window.

“Jump in! I’ll give you a ride.” He offered when I walked up to the car.

“I—I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” He narrowed his eyes at me.

“Come on, you’re going to get blown away if you stay out there any longer!” What he said was true… I got into the passenger’s seat, uneasy. He turned up the heat and it instantly warmed up, making me dozy. I blinked sleepily a couple times.

“Anabel,” Rowland spoke, surprising me since he always called me Ana. “Why have you been avoiding me?”

“I haven’t…” I said without much conviction.

“Don’t lie to me. You never returned any of my calls; I haven’t seen you in a week. What’s up? What’s going on?” All that he said was true, I had been avoiding him.

I chewed on my lip. “Look Rowland, I just shouldn’t be around you. I know Lewis doesn’t want me to, and for good reason. It’s too hard for us to be friends.” I didn’t expect his reaction. He pulled over, slammed the car to a stop, and turned to face me.

“No, it’s not too hard! You’re making excuses. You just know that you really have feelings for me, and you’re scared of those feelings so you’re trying to hide them. Don’t lie to me, Ana!” His eyes blazed, and he looked so angry, yet so hurt, it terrified me.

“I don’t have any feelings for you! I’m with Lewis, your brother, remember?”

“That doesn’t mean anything.” He insisted. “I know you have feelings for me, otherwise you wouldn’t have slept with me!” I gaped at him. He couldn’t be serious.

“I didn’t know it was you! Or did you forget the part where you tricked me?”

“Damnit, Ana! You knew the difference, maybe in the back of your mind, but you knew it was me! Can’t you see I like you, and you like me? Don’t deny it.” I shook my head, hot tears now running down my cheeks.

“No, Rowland, I didn’t. You’re just fooling yourself. I didn’t know it was you, and I don’t like you like that. I love Lewis, I really do.” I took a deep breath. “Rowland, we cannot see each other again. Don’t call me or text me. Don’t have any contact at all with me. I’m walking home.” And with that I got out of the car, leaving a furious Rowland behind.

 I didn’t look back.