Part 7

Ana’s POV

Diary Entry 3 – 9/14

Dear Diary,

It’s 2 in the morning right now, and I should really be in bed but I just got home from hanging out with all the popular kids. Last year, I never even imagined they would talk to me and yet here I am (or would it be there I was?), hanging out with them OUTSIDE of school. I felt a little guilty though. I had promised Pat and Amber I wouldn’t hang out with Luanne, but then I did. Anyway, Johnny is really sweet. He stayed with me the whole time with his arm around my shoulder. Does he like me? Maybe if I went out with him, I’d stop liking Lewis and all my problems would be gone. Lewis L . No, no, I’m not going to write or think about him. I’ve got to distract myself.

Um, new topic. Er, oh yeah! Marissa (this girl who spent the night with dad last night) was still here when I got home. I wonder if dad actually likes her. I wouldn’t mind if they dated. She seems pretty nice. She even offered to make me a snack when I got home. She and dad were both sitting downstairs watching TV. He even had his arm around her, and they were eating popcorn. I guess it was kind of cute.

Anyway, now I’m sleepy so good night, Diary. I’ll try writing in you more often.

Until next time,

Ana

Amber ran up to me when I got to school.  

“Where were you last night? I mean, I know you had an hour of detention, but then I came by your house later and you weren’t home!” Uh oh.

“I was with Johnny.” I cringed.

“Johnny Callaway?” Patrick asked, standing next to me.

“Yeah, he asked me to go hang out at the pier with him and some of his friends.” Please don’t ask about  

“Was Luanne there?” Amber questioned me. She sounded mad.

“Um, yeah, but I didn’t really talk to her. It was mostly just Johnny that I talked to.” Amber looked hurt. “Look, you were the ones who wanted me to be friendly with her, and has she given you any trouble lately? No! So what’s the problem?” I shouldn’t have been so defensive, but I was.

“Relax Ana, it’s fine. Just don’t replace us with them.” I opened my mouth to protest, but Patrick shook his head. “So you and Johnny huh? What happened to Mr. Fairbanks?”

I shrugged. “I’m just trying to get over him, and Johnny is really sweet.” Amber cut in.

“Your new friends are calling you over.” I ignored her tone of voice and looked to where she was pointing to see she was right.

“I’ll be right back, you guys.”I started walking over to where Johnny was. He was waving to me and grinning.

“Anabel!” Luanne ran up to me and gave me a big hug. I could feel Amber’s eyes burning on the back of my head.

“Hi Luanne.” I said with a fake smile. She didn’t notice.

Johnny came up to me as Luanne went back to talking to her friends.

“Hey cutie!” He grinned.

“Hey!” This time my smile was genuine.

“So look, I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie with me sometime?” He was asking me on a date?  I thought of Lewis, but I shook that image away. A date would be the perfect distraction.

“Yea, that sounds fun! When?”

“Well, are you busy tonight?” I shook my head and made arrangements, and I gave him a hug before going back to Pat and Amber.

“What was that?” Amber spat at me.

“H-he just asked me on a date, jeeze.” What was up with her?

“I mean Luanne hugging you!” Oh, that.

“I don’t know! She seems to think we’re best friends or something.” Amber’s eyes were shooting daggers at me. “We’re not, I promise! I would never, ever replace you. Why can’t you just believe me?”

“Why can’t you just stay away from them?” She was shouting at me. Why couldn’t she be more like Patrick? He was fine with it!

“I’m TRYING to let myself like Johnny, ok? I’m TRYING to get over someone I really liked, and I’m TRYING to balance my friends, guys, and school all at the same time and you don’t understand how hard it is! Why can’t you give me a break?” I whisper-shouted at her. What was her problem? Was she trying to destroy our friendship?

Amber just glared at me, turned around, and walked away. I looked at Patrick for help.

“She’s just being over-dramatic. She’ll get over it, babe. I’ll talk to her.” And he went after her.

The rest of the school day was pretty much the same as yesterday, except without the detention. Art was awkward, Patrick advised me not to sit with Amber at lunch, so I ate with Johnny instead. 6th period was dead- silent, and then the bell rang and it was over.

I got home and ran to my room, ready to curl up in a ball in bed and sleep for the rest of the day, but then I remembered the date. I had to do my makeup and hair and look pretty for Johnny. I pulled out my phone and almost called Amber till I remembered she wasn’t speaking to me. I’d have to do it on my own.

The movie was an action movie. It was too gory for my liking, but Johnny enjoyed it. He kept asking me,

“Wasn’t that movie epic?” or saying “I really hope they make a sequel!”When Johnny dropped me off at home, I was just glad it was over.

We sat in the car a while, before he said, “Tonight was really fun.” I just nodded. There was an awkward silence. Then he spoke again, “I really like you, Anabel.” I remembered when Lewis told me that, and then we had broken up. I looked at Johnny.

“I like you too.” Well, it wasn’t a complete lie.

“So, um, do you want to go out with me? Y’know, like boyfriend-girlfriend?” How romantic. Not. But if I was determined to get over Lewis, what choice did I have?

“Yea I do.” He grinned at me, then started to lean towards me, his eyes closed. Oh god, he wanted to kiss me. Might as well make it quick. I leaned over and gave him a peck, intending to kiss him less than a second and then get out of there, but he put his hand on the back of my head and just kept kissing me. It was awful! It wasn’t that he was a bad kisser or anything, but it felt really wrong. I guess he didn’t think so, though, because when he finally released my head he was beaming at me.

“Um, see you at school tomorrow.” I said as I rushed out of the car. He called something to me, but I didn’t hear it and I didn’t really care. As soon as the door was shut behind me, I wiped my mouth off with the back of my hand. Who knew getting over Lewis would be so hard?