Chap 27. A Happy Ending.

After a few months. 

"Soren, my boy," Stephen pats Soren's shoulder, while Zale, leaning against his car, glances at them from afar. As promised, he took Soren to meet Stephen. But now that he's out in the real world, he's kicking himself.

It's not as refreshing as his mate had claimed. It's full of weird and bizarre people who he despised wholeheartedly.

How could Soren expect him to find the same air invigorating that the same humans breathe if he doesn't like his own kind? His mate, Soren, is now the only shifter he cares about.

"Say it once more! I don't think I've fully recovered from last night's hangover." Stephen scratched his temples and blinked at Soren once more.

Soren chuckled while shaking his head, "Yeah you heard it right. Zale is my mate, to whom I'm bonded now. We're mates uncle."

Soren confronted, his face turning red as he turned his gaze back to Zale, who was frowning with a sulky expression. Soren smiles softly at him, and Zale's face brightens, his lips pull in a smile, and his brows relax. His entire complex relaxed on its own.

Soren returned his gaze to Stephen, who was still reeling from the news and struggling to comprehend it.

"You even formed a b-bond with him?" Stephen looked at him dumbfoundedly.

Soren took a deep breath and nodded cautiously. The first night of mates' lovemaking, the first meeting of their bodies, hearts, and souls formed a bond between them in which they fully accept each other as mates, and there's no turning back from here.

"Yeah, why don't you just yell to the entire town, go ahead?" Soren deadpanned.

"I'm sorry," Stephen said as he retreated from the shock. "It's just that it surprises me. The kid I'd watched grow up suddenly tells me he's found himself a mate. Isn't it my right to be surprised?"

"I guess it is." Soren chuckled. 

"But, you know, why Zale?" Stephen inquired. "Why not someone with more sanity and a more positive outlook on life?"

"Shut up, uncle Steph," Soren exclaimed. "You don't have the right to spout nonsense about my mate. He is the most significant and precious person to me. I won't let anyone, not even you uncle, say anything hurtful about him."

Stephen examined Soren closely, and all he saw was disappointment and pure tenderness towards the shifter, who was piercing holes in Soren's back with how intensely he was looking at him.

Stephen sighed deeply.

"Are you sure you like him that much?" Stephen pretended dismay. "So all my efforts were for nought, as I was about to introduce you to some really nice shifters who would be equally compatible with you. But I forgot you don't like pursuing sensible things."

Soren's face darkens as he greets his jaw. Zale could feel his body tensing and wished he could run towards him and engulf Soren into him. Even though it hadn't been long he let go of him and Soren wasn't far away, he yearned to yank Soren back into his arms.

However, he was unable to. He doesn't want to disappoint Soren by interfering with their conversation. He doesn't want to come across as a loudmouth who won't let Soren talk to someone else even though he is just like that. 

He cursed himself for being so jealous of everything near Soren.

"Come on, uncle," Soren reprimanded. "You have no right to lecture me about pursuing decent things. And don't even get me started on you introducing me to a great shifter when you can't find one for yourself." Stephen's eyes widened as Soren chuckled without humour. "I don't believe it's possible to find someone greater than Zale. In his own way, he's the finest."