Chap 8. Loosing Sanity

Soren trudged his way down the stairs where Frank was already waiting for him with two women in servants' dresses standing beside him.

He halts his steps when Frank comes to him, and the ladies follow behind with nervousness washing over them. Soren eyed the new faces as he wasn't familiar with every servant in the mansion. 

“Soren,” Frank starts with a polite tone and a fatherly smile. “They wanted to say something to you.”

He turned back and he could see the anxious faces. 

"I'm sorry, sir. Because I'm new, I didn't realize we weren't supposed to enter Master Zale's room. I was simply carrying out orders to clean every room on the floor." The girl in question sobbed.

"It's okay because it's your first mistake. But, for your own good, please be more cautious." Soren let out a sigh, but he wasn't pleased with what she did.

Soren is still suspicious of her and how she didn't know about Zale's room, didn't she hear rumours about how dangerous he is from other servants? He know what bad things they talked about and gossiped about him His gaze was drawn to the elderly lady standing next to the girl, who appeared to be quite familiar.

"Wait, aren't you the graveyard lady?" Soren inquired, recalling her face from the cemetery when he went to visit his parents. Which made him even more uneasy about them.

"Indeed, I am, Sir. I quit that job because it was too far away from my house." The lady walked out, and her presence in the house did not make Soren feel good. "The work here is good, and so is the pay." She spoke nervously as if she was scared of something. She pointed to the girl. "She is my daughter."

"Uncle Frank, I want them both out of the mansion when I get back," Soren exclaimed, not caring whether they were dangerous or not. He's not taking any risk.

The girl cried and threw herself into his legs. As her mother looked at her but didn't say anything.

"Please, sir, don't do this to us. We currently have no jobs, and because we are at the bottom of the food chain, no one cares about us. If you throw us out, we will starve." She sobbed uncontrollably. Soren sighed and rubbed his temples. His kind heart got the best of him, and he didn't want to be the cause of someone's death due to hunger.

"Did you investigate their background, Uncle Frank? I don't want any intruders in the vicinity of Zale." Soren inquired, facing Frank.

"Don't worry, I thoroughly investigated their background. I don't see why we shouldn't keep them, but I'll do as you say. I'll go make arrangements to pay them for their time here-"

“No need, they can stay. But please keep an eye on them.” He said, and started to walk without waiting for an answer. “Where’s Avalon? We need to hurry.”

“He’s waiting for you outside. Although, I suggest you postpone your visit to another day.”

“Why? ” Soren frowned in confusion. 

“Master Shilister keeps on insisting for you to report him. I don't think it's good to keep letting him wait for so long, you know his temper.”

“I see what I can do. Thanks for telling me.” He assured him, outside he met a very charming smile waiting for him. 

“Just on time,” Avalon grins ear to ear. He innocently tilts his head. “I wasn't waiting here for half an hour, not at all.” 

Soren rolled his eyes, “I'm sorry, took me a few more minutes to change Zale’s bandages.” 

Avalon eyed his red face and couldn't stop himself, he surged forward and sniffed Soren. 

“What are you doing?!” Soren pushed him away, stunned at his weirdness.