Now or Never

It's now or never. Today they're going on the mission. I'm so freaking terrified that something will go wrong but I'm trying not to freak out too much. Everyone was calling their family in case something went wrong out there.

Jake was out on the tarmac in front of his plane. He was about to get in it. "Hey bagman" I yelled to him. He looked over at me and smiled.

I ran at him and jumped in his arms and kissed him. "If you do get sent up there, just make sure you come back to me."

"Trust me Taylor. There is no way that I'm not coming back to you." He told me. He set me on the ground and took off my tags. "Here take these. It'll be like I'm right there with you."

"Hey I'm going to need my tags now." "Why now?" I asked him. "You'll see." I gave him his dog tags and gave him one last hug. "I'll see you when you get back right?" I asked him. "You definitely will." He told me right before he climbed in his plane.

****

I was standing with cyclone and warlock. They had just sent out the strike. It sounded like everything was going good so far.

The runway had just been destroyed and they were starting to fly through the canyon now.
Rooster was a little behind to target but sounds like he sped up and is definitely not behind target anymore.

First targets up. Bullseye. Second target.Bobs camera isn't working. Well that's not good. "I'm dropping blind." Is rooster crazy? "Bullseye" Well he might be crazy but at least he made it.

It all sounded so hectic up there. Everyone was being shot at. Rooster was about to get hit but mav flew in front of him and got hit instead.

Well that's not Hangman called to get sent up but they denied him. Thank God. I couldn't take it. The room was so stuffy and the tension is there was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I needed a breather so i left.

****

I was looking out at the sea when warlock came over to me. "What's going with them right now?" i asked him. He sighed. "Mav went down and rooster went after him. We don't know where they are."

A tear slipped from my eye but i quickly wiped it away. "Ya know that Rooster was one of my first friends at top gun." i told him. "No I didn't."
"He was. We always got along and were really good friends. Please find him." "We will." he said.

His phone started to go off. "Maverick and Rooster are back on the radar." he said. "Let's go." i told him.

****

"Warlock your back. We saw that there was another person up there so we sent up the spare dagger." cyclone said. What? He went up?

"We got them. We're coming back." Hangman said. Oh thank god. He's alive.

****

Watching Hangman land was a relief. Everyone was on the tarmac. When Mav and Rooster landed everyone was cheering.

Hangman got out and i ran and jumped into his arms. He caught me and i kissed him. I stopped kissing him and looked into his eyes. "Thanks for not dying on me." I told him. "I could never leave you Ace." he told me.

Me and hangman walked over to rooster and phoenix. I hugged rooster and phoenix. "Nice shot up there rooster." i told him. "Thanks Ace." "Hey Iz your not the only Ace now." phoenix said. "Really?" i asked. "Yep Mavs an Ace too now." "You guys wanna celebrate at the Hard deck?" I asked everyone. They all agreed so we went there once everyone was cleaned up.

****

We were all laughing and drinking beers. "Hey can we go talk out on the beech real quick?" Hangman asked me. "Yeah sure. Is everything ok?" i asked. "Yeah everything's fine i just really need to talk to you."

We walked down to the beach together. Its so peaceful. It was dark out and you could hear the waves crashing. He held my hands in his and began to talk.

"Iz. You have changed my perspective on the world. I don't think that the world has ever been so bright. You are the only person for me." He got down on one knee and pulled out a ring box. "Lizzy Taylor I love you and I will always love you. I want to spend the rest of my life you, have kids with you, and grow old with you. Will you please make me the luckiest man in the world and marry me?"

"Is that even a question? Yes." I told him. He slid the ring onto my finger and got up and kissed me. After he kissed me i took a look at the ring and noticed that he had made it from his dog tags. "So that's what you needed your tags back for." I said. "Yes it is. I know it isn't much Iz i really wanted to buy a new fancy ring. You know, something you deserve i'm just a bit tight no money but I promise you one of these days you will get the ring you deserve." he says. "Are you kidding me? There is no way you are going to get this off of my finger. I love it. It's perfect."
"Come on let's go tell everyone while we're celebrating."

We went back inside and told everyone about it.
"And to think that I thought he was just going to play you." Phoenix told me. "Seems like things ended up just fine in the end." I told her.

The ring that Hangman gave her