Close

It's soon. Too soon. I never would have expected it to be over this soon. But no. It's almost over. This journey is almost over.

Today maverick is picking his team and tomorrow they head off. If hangman is one of them, I don't even know how I'm going to react.

****

"Each one of you is the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." Maverick told everyone.
"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Cyclone told him.

He responded saying "Payback and fanboy. Phoenix and bob." No shocker there. They were the best teams. Now all he had to do was pick his wingman.

"And your wingman." Cyclone told him. "Rooster" he responded.

You always want to be happy for your partner but when he called rooster instead of hangman for his wingman, it felt a weight was lifted off my chest. I felt bad though once I made eye contact with him from across the room.

He looked so disappointed. He worked so hard for this. I know he really wanted to be apart of this. There's still the slight chance that he could go up though. He's on standby in a spare dagger.

"Ok dismissed." Maverick told everyone. Hangman began walking towards me. "Hey, wanna get a ride back with me?" "Yes please." I told him.

****

"When exactly do you need these dog tags for your plans?" I asked while he drove. "Your really not going to let this go are you?" He asked me.

"No I'm not so you might as well tell me what these plans are." "Iz." He gave me a warning look to drop it. What ever it was he wasn't going to tell me. "Ugh fine." I said and threw my hands up in the air in loss.

****

I sat on the bed reading while hangman laid in my lap. I held my book with one hand and played with his hair with the other.

"Iz. How do you feel about not being able to go on the mission." He asked me. "That's a loaded question. I mean on one hand I'm really bummed that I can't go since this is what I've been working for. But I'm also relieved since I can barely stand sitting in one." I said.

"We'll that's understandable Iz." "Can i be honest with you Jake?" "Of course you can be honest with me Iz."

"I hope that everything in the world goes your way but i was honestly partly relieved that you were only a spare." He sat up from my lap and looked at me. "Jake if they call you up there tomorrow, please be careful."

I looked deep into his eyes. "I can't lose you. Your practically all I have." My eyes began to water and he placed a hand on my cheek.

"Iz, you do not have to worry about me. I will always come back to you." He took his thumb and erased the tear that had somehow escaped.

He put his other hand on my other cheek and kissed my forehead. "I love you Iz."

"I love you too Jake."

A/N
I know it's been a hot minute since I last updated but I just didn't know what to write. Anyways I know it's kinda short but next chapter shits going down