Second chances

"You guys are going to be going to be doing the route for the mission again. I know we did this yesterday and the day before that but it's really important you guys know the terrain and how to navigate it. This is also helping me decide who I want to bring with me on this. " Maverick told us. "All right dismissed."

****

I was really conflicted on whether or not I still wanted to go on this mission. I was just scared to go into a plane but here I was about to go in.

I'm standing right outside of my plane. My fingers roaming my name on the side. Now or never right? Woah I forgot what this was like. I was already feeling nervous but now I'm even more. I was fiddling with my brothers dog tags. Oh my gosh. This is terrifying. Screw it. I can do this.

****

Nope. Can't do this. I was already up in the air but we were about to do the climb out. The same climb out that got me in the hospital.

It was like I was frozen. I couldn't move. Instead of doing the climb out I just flew straight. "Ace what the hell are you doing" I couldn't speak. I was hyperventilating and on the verge of tears. I could hear people people talking over the radio. I couldn't exactly tell what it was they were saying though. "Ace, Ace listen to the sound of my voice. It's Mav. Now we're going to fly back to base. You can do this. Alright?" I snapped out just enough to realize what he was saying. "Yeah alright"

****

Mav flew with me back. When my plane finally hit the ground a breathe of relief escaped my mouth. I got out the plane as fast as I could. I stumbled out and landed on my knees.

Hangman must've been waiting on me to get back. He ran over to me and dropped to his knees. He wrapped his arms around me and held tight til my breathing regulated. "Your good. Ok? Your good." he told me.

Once I was feeling fine he put his arm around my shoulder and he walked me back to my room.

****

I got in there and went to go take a bath. It sounded nicer than a shower at the moment. Standing didn't sound that fun because my whole body felt like jello. I laid back in the tub and just layer there for about half an hour.

A knock came from the door. "Iz? You good?". I knew that voice and i knew it was Jake. He opened the door a bit and came in. He walked over and sat by the tub next to me. "I still remember it." I blurted out. "All of it. I remember the plane spiraling. I remember the crash. I remember Mav running from the helicopter and hovering over my face while telling me I was going to be fine. I even remember the hospital. Not like when I was awake but when I was in a coma. I could hear everything still. I could hear the doctors. And while I was out I just kept reliving it. Over and over.

I turned to face him. "I don't know if i'm going to be able to fly again. I mean just sitting in that plane before even taking off scared the shit out of me. I think i jumped into this too soon." "Hey hey. That's ok. You can fly again when your ready." he told me. He grabbed my face and kissed me.

He helped me get out and get dressed. I passed out like immediately that night. I was just really exhausted. Jake pet my hair as I fell asleep on his chest.