Chapter Thirty-Six: learning about his past

I pushed my wings as fast as they could go, not once stopping to rest. I have rested enough, it is time for action. I could start to see the shape of houses, so I quickly made myself invisible to the mortal eye and flew the rest of the way to my mother's house. I could feel two dark energies, and a neutral one. That means Blake, Lenore and my mother were there. I didn't even bother knocking, I flew right through the door and landed in front them. The look on their faces was priceless, but all I could think of was that I was finally back with my family. And this time, I didn't have to say good bye as soon as I saw them.

"Lolita." Blake was the first to speak, and the first to pull me into a bone crushing hug. Is this how cold we are to others? How could Teresa's mom not freeze every time she hugs me?

"Blake, I have missed you." He was shocked by how different my voice was, quite frankly so was I. So much of me had changed in such a short time, it was still so much to take in. He picked up a lock of my hair that was a mix of blond and black, and placed a small kiss at the end of it.

"So, my baby sister is a hybrid."

"It appears so." I heard Lenore clear her throat. We turned to look at her, and I noticed just how beautiful Lenore has truly become. At fourteen she was the spitting image of our mother. Her hair in long curly waves, her emerald green eyes are a darker shade than ours, but they matched her. Her ruby red lips were pressed in a hard line that I have learned she does when she had something she really wants to say.

"Lenore, you are truly a deadly beauty, and so young too. I hear you uncovered the ability to know the name of all the souls that have died, even if you haven't seen them. Impressive." I saw a small flash of pride pass her eyes, but she was quick to cover it. I found this amusing and pulled her into a hug. I could tell Blake and mom were shocked, especially when she hugged back. What can I say, Lenore does have a soft spot, you just have to know how to find it.

"Why?" She said it so only I could hear. "Why did you turn your back on us?" I pulled back to look her in the face. Her eyes held so much pain, and anger. I held her hand and pulled her to the couch and sat her down.

"First of all Lenore, I did not, nor will I ever turn my back on you. I am a Reaper, but we are also part angel. When Ashton came into my life, I learned death doesn't have to be so lonely and cold. He is dead, but he is filled with more life than any human I have ever meet. Father wants to end that life, I can't let him do that."

"Is that zombie really worth all you were put through? Everything we were put through?! Mother and father don't speak, even Blake left to be with him! Because of him this family has gone to SHIT!" She was starting to get angry, it was making the room colder. I squeezed her hand and used one of the gifts I received to calm her down and make the room warm again.

"The gift of inner peace, that is my sister harmony's ability." I looked up at my mother and smiled. I let go of Lenore's hand and got up to hug her.

"They all say hi, and that they miss you." I saw a bloody tear slide down her cheek. "And Lenore, this family hasn't gone to shit, we have always been a strange bunch. Ashton has nothing to do with it, he dose however need my help. Blake, have you found anything?"

"I have had some of my servants helped look for him, however they keep coming up short." I had to calm myself and keep a clear head. I will be of no use to anyone if I just go on a pointless man hunt.

"It's fine. From what grandfather has told me, he is still in the area. That means whoever took him knows that I would be looking for him. To them this is nothing more than a game, but they sure as hell picked the wrong person to play with.