Chapter Twenty-one: Lenore's pain

*Lenore*

"Andrew Cameron, age 36, Height..." This is how I spend my time now a days. Since father placed sister into an eternal slumber, the house is quiet. Brother moved out with that Zombie, and mother and father don't speak. That's fine, I like the silence. I look out my window and see the souls that once were like my second family, now they just seem like a pain. They seem so pitiful, it's pathetic. They have escaped the ugly and cruelty of this world, they should be happy.

"Lenore, dinner."

"Fine." That is really the only time we ever speak. I pass by my mirror and see my reflection, I look like them. Mother and sister are both beautiful, it was one of their weapons. They draw you in with their beauty, and with skillful speed, they take what they want. I have learned to use this for my own personal gain, and I'm only fourteen.

I eat my dinner alone, as always. I pull out my new notebook and begin writing. This is now my 100th notebook, this month. I unlocked my reaper eyes when I was eleven, and since then I have been able to see the names and images of people that have died, or I know will die. I wonder if sister had this ability too.

"Who am I kidding, I know she did." I can still remember the pain that her words caused me that day. I admired my sister as a child, she was my hero. Smart, beautiful, gifted, powerful, and deadly. She was suppose to be the next Grim Reaper, the first female reaper. Instead she picked to be an angel like our mother, and ended up giving the title to our older brother. I was so mad at her at the time, I didn't care about what father did to her that night. I felt she deserved it for turning her back on her Reaper side, and choosing to be one of grandfathers angels. I have never meet or heard his voice, but they have. Both brother and sister have talked to him, he won't even speak with me. I bet my soul is to dark for him to bother with me. This doesn't bother me, I don't wanna talk to him. It's his fault sister is gone anyways.

"Lenore." I turn around and see mother standing behind me with an emotionless face.

"What?"

"Calm down, your eyes are changing." I look at them in the reflection from my spoon. They went from my normal green and blue color to all black. Unlike my sister, I don't need the contacts since my eyes aren't as powerful as hers. She was known in the underworld as having the Devils eyes. Her eyes could see anything, even if it was not in this world. She was that amazing. 

"Fine." I calmed myself down and they turned back to normal. I finished eating and placed my dish in the sink. I passed my mother without another word, she didn't even look at me. She stared out at the souls in our backyard, and I know she was wishing that sister's souls would be among them. At least she would be able to speak with her then, but she wasn't there. Her soul was trapped within her body, never to find peace. That is her punishment for betraying father.

I open the portal behind the portrait of the family without her, and I walk down the stairs. I liked it down here, it was cold and dark. The only light that could be seen from down here was the one around her body. Even as only an empty vessel she gave off so much energy. I walked up to her body and picked up a strand of her now blond hair. It was still so soft and smooth, just like when it was black. Her pale cheeks still healed a small amount of pink to them.

"Hello Lolita, it's been a while. I know you can't answer me, but I know you can hear me. Father is still mad about the choice you made, and frankly I am too. You could have been so great, and you gave that up. For what? Those pathetic souls out there? You should have just cut off all emotional ties to them and take their souls. When brother said you killed that man, Abraham, with your own scythe I was amazed. Not even a Grim Reaper, and you summoned your very own scythe. You were born to be the next Grim Reaper, but you also were born with more of mothers angelic side." I punched the spot next to her head, and her hair moved from the pressure of it.

"Careful!"

"Father!" I hadn't even felt him behind me. He walked up to her body and I moved so that he could sit next to her. He looked at her sleeping face, no emotion at all on his. He touched her hand and placed a kiss on the back of it. With that small act, more color appeared on her face.

"You're surprised." He wasn't asking, he knew. He didn't even look at me to figure that out.

"What did you do?"

"Refreshed her. I placed her in this sleep, only I can wake her up."

"Can't Blake do it too?"

"No. That brother of yours may have taken over, but he is no where near as powerful as me. Lolita will never open her eyes again, unless I wish for her to." He placed her hand on her stomach and fixed her hair and dress. He touched her cheek one last time before leaving me alone with her again. I took my spot next to her again, and look at her face. Even after all this, she is still his favorite.

I left her after that and walked back upstairs. I was about to head towards the stairs, when I felt an energy so strong, it caused me to fall to my knees. It took everything in me not pass out, but I was not able to hold down my dinner. I was so relieved when it was finally gone. I ran towards the door, but there was no one there. I was about to close the door when I saw a note on my door.

"Enjoy your life here while you can. I know who you monsters are, and soon, so will everyone else. Sweet Dreams, Little Lenore." 

"What?!" I placed the note in my pocket and summoned my wings, not carrying if anyone saw me. I flew high above the town and used my eyes to try and find that energy, but there was nothing. No sign of that energy anywhere. The only strange energy was coming from Blake and the Zombie's apartment, but that was their's. I decided to head back and show the note to father. If someone was trying to mess with the Reaper Family, they were in for a rude awaking.