Chapter Three: The Reaper's smile

*Blake*

I took her book and went to my room. Then locked the door once I was inside. I don't need mom, and especially dad coming in here and seeing me read this. I opened the solid black book and I felt my jaw drop again. She has unlocked just about all the reaper abilities, and wrote down what they do. She has them dated and numbered by when she unlocked them, and how many tries it took to master them. A lot of them had two, some had one, a few of them had five.

As I read each of her abilities I couldn't help but feel my confidence get smaller and smaller. Lolita really was gifted, and she would be to control dad's scythe without any problems. She even drew a picture of dad's scythe and I have to hand it to her, she has major skills.

"I guess I better get studying."

***********************************************************************************************

*Lolita*

I sat next to my window and watched all the soul outside. Lenore was in the backyard talking to the spirit of a little boy. She looked so happy. Mom stepped out and made her go inside, the neighbors were looking at her again. They like to keep an eye on Lenore since their dog was found dead in the woods, and Lenore was smiling when they found it. They actually tried yelling at my dad saying Lenore was a strange child and needed to see a professional. Dad was so pissed he scared the shit out of them. Since then they only watch her and try to record her, but their videos always 'erase' when they go and look back at them.

"Lolita." I look at my door and see my mom standing there. "Did you do it?"

"On it mom." I look back at the neighbors and focus on the camera they tried to hide. One of our powers is messing with electronics that could reveal our secrets. Many humans have devoted their lives to hunting things they can't explain, so we learn how to mess with their equipment.

"It's done."

"Thank you sweet heart. Can we talk?" I knew there was something else, there always is. I sat on my bed next to her, and she looked me straight in the eyes. When she does this it means she wants me to be honest and not lie.

"What's up?"

"Honey, have you meet any boys you like?" Not what I was expecting. Normally she wants to talk about what my plans are for when I have to battle Blake, or if I know what I want to be if Blake becomes the next grim reaper. We have never once talked about stuff like this, so I must have looked completely lost. She was laughing so hard.

"Relax dear. It's only a question."

"No, I don't see the point in it. If I fall for a human boy they will eventually grow old and die. How would I explain to them why I never age and will never die along with them? What's more, I would never be able to tell him what we really are."

"I know. I was just wondering if maybe you have, that's all."

"If I ever find an Immortal boy, I'll let you know." I laid back and heard her get up and walk out shutting my door behind her. I looked at my ceiling, still thinking about what she said. I never really gave this topic any thought. Liked said, I didn't see the point in it. Sure, there were a lot of attractive human boys, but I could never fall for any of them. The shock on learning I'm the daughter of the grim reaper would kill them alone. I needed to talk to someone, so I called Teresa.

"Is it my time?!"

"Why do you always answer the phone like that?" I sat up and walked back towards the window.

"Sorry, what's up?"

"Mom was in here, and she was acting weird."

"She's married to your dad. How weirder can she get?"