{27} Heated Tensions

"That was not part of the plan," I slap my tail against the ground. A rising hiss in my throat as I glare at Pythor as we get off the bus. Having just arrived back at Ouroboros.

"We got the fangblade, didn't we dear?" He tries to soothe me. Reaching out a comforting hand.

I back away from him. "You-You went back on our deal. Information for sssafety. That is what was promised."

"Yes, I promised I wouldn't hurt the ninja myself. But if I recall things correctly, that old man isn't a ninja. The one who leaped in with him did that of his own consequence. It wasn't planned that way." Pythor says smugly.

"What about onstage w-with that weight bag?" I counter.

"He was supposed to aim for the stage itself and break it. Forcing the performance to stop." Pythor waves a hand dismissively. "However, the pathetic scout failed to do his job correctly."

"That looked t-too close to be a mere accident." I argue back.

"Can you prove that it wasn't?" Pythor asks.

Oh, the nerve. It angered me that he was right. That I can't prove it was done on purpose. Still my gut screams that he did. Pointing imaginary accusatory fingers and shouting liar in my head. Knowing he's far too smart to be as dumb as he claims.

The other serpentine that have unloaded off the bus have backed away from the both of us. Quite a few either sneaking away or shuffling to the sides awkwardly from the tension. Even some of my acquaintances look unnerved.

Pythor takes my silence as a win and stands taller. Looming over me. "I understand where you are coming from, it's hard to lose such close attachments. However, I think it's clouding your judgement. Making things seem worse than they really are."

"I don't even know if... if Cole is okay," I say.

"No need to fret about him, I heard he made it out just fine. See, no harm was done." He consoles. His tail reaching out to settle on my own. "Let's drop this nonsense and celebrate our second win."

No. I slap his tail away with my own. Gasps ring from the serpentine crowd, but I refuse to back down.

Pythor doesn't look very pleased by my action. Frowning deeply and fixing that harsh gaze on me. My neck prickles with the sense of danger. "Mira," he says as a warning.

"What's going on here," a young voice enters the scene. Lloyd is with Minda, frowning at the scene he's walked in on.

"Lloyd, I have it han-handled." I say without breaking eye contact with Pythor.

"Let the boy come, you two are inseparable, right?" Pythor says.

"Don't touch him," I hiss.

"Then don't step out of line," Pythor retorts. "I give you a lot of leeway because you're a General and a shiftari. But you are starting to push it."

Something sparks in me. "And I-I respect your rule, but I know you're going behind my back. I d-don't like being lied to my face."

"Maybe this is a bad time for a welcome party," Minda said to herself.

"Minda, get him out-out of here," I order. Standing between Pythor and them.

"No Minda, stay." Pythor overrides my order.

"Th-This is between you and me," I hiss.

"I think you've forgotten that I am your General. I've tried to be nice but if you are going to be stubborn then I will use something to make you listen." He suddenly snaps back. I flinch in surprise. He sighs, seemingly disappointed. Shaking his head to himself, he turns away from me. "What am I to do with you."