{3} Scythe of Quakes

You would think that a horse carriage includes a horse. Well, it seems Sensei Wu didn't get the memo. Leaving me and the boys pulling the carriage along with Sensei sitting on it while sipping tea. To make matters worse, we're going uphill.

        "Sign me up," Jay mocked Kai. "Way to go, spark plug," he hissed. His breath, like the rest of the team, comes out labored.

        "I sense this is some strange form of... team building," Zane says.

        "Just keep pulling," Cole instructs. "We have a long way to go." Yeah, I'll continue doing that, while ignoring my lungs screaming at me to stop this torture.

        "So," Kai attempts starting a conversation. "Where did Sensei find you three?"

        Cole looks back at him over his shoulder, "Let's just say, if it wasn't for Sensei Wu, I don't think we would ever be seen together. I was testing my limits."

        "I was testing my invention," Jay added.

        "And I was testing myself," Zane contributed.

        "You're right," Kai says, "If it weren't for Sensei, none of us wou-"

       "Shh! Stop!" Sensei Wu shouted. I gladly obliged, leaning against the shaft the boys are still holding. Sensei Wu hops off of the carriage. Without a word he's walking ahead. We all share a look with each other before ditching the carriage and following him. Sensei Wu climbs up onto this rock situated in front of a huge excavated site. Tall watch towers overseeing everything reach towards the sky. Not wanting to be seen ourselves, we all get low to the ground and crawl the rest of the way to peer around the giant rock.

        "The Caves of Despair," Sensei said. "Samukai must be close to unearthing the Scythe of Quakes. Remember to not use the weapon, or it's power-"

        "Yeah, yeah, yeah," Jay interrupts. "Is too much for us mortals. Alright guys, let's chop-socky this lemonade stand. Cole, do you have a plan?"

        "Sure do," the black ninja nods. "First, we lower ourselves down the ledge. Then..." Cole cuts off, looking to his left. "Where's Kai?"

        I look over the group, and sure enough, Kai is missing. He was just here, where on Earth did he go? Quickly surveying the area, I quickly spot a red streak dashing behind a boulder.

         "There!" I exclaim, though not much louder than my normal volume, pointing out Kai's location. I should have known he would be rushing into things. I had to confront him during our training to even get him to start formulating a plan together.

        Cole sighs, "Let's go." The guys all jump over the rock to follow him, forcing me to follow their lead. Just as I saw Kai do, we raced for the few spots of cover from the skulkin, as I have been previously informed as what the skeletons are.

        Scaling one of the smaller collapsed buildings and surveying the area from the shingled roofs, I spot Kai flipping away to more rock cover. Me and the guys flip off the roof to follow him, making sure to not make a sound. I find myself thankful for pushing myself when training. Otherwise, I know fully well I would not be nimble enough to keep up.

        Cole gestures to an overturned box cart ahead. We nod, getting at what he's suggesting. Taking a quick look to see if the coast is clear, we make a beeline for it. Not hesitating to work together and lift it over ourselves as soon as we reach it. It's a tight fit hiding under it, but it works. I am stuck in the back, behind Zane, so I have to trust the others on where to go. Following the guys lead, I simply help them hold up the cart and make sure not to trip up over anyone's feet. I don't want to mess up this mission because of my own incompetence.