{24} Making Connections

It's way too early to start fighting already...

I put my head into my heads and slowly drag them down my face at the sight of what's in front of me. Lloyd stands there, defiantly glaring up at a hypnobrai warrior towering over him. Actually having the audacity to look the snake in the eyes as he throws insults and complaints. Any passing snakes walking by quickly scamper away. Not wanting to deal with the drama in the middle of the path.

"It's not my fault you can't fight," Lloyd stomps a foot.

The warrior's hood flares. "It was your command that put me in that position!"

"You tried to hypnotize me first!" Lloyd shoots back.

"You were the first human face I've seen since imprisonment. I was not going to take any chances," he hisses low.

Lloyd leans back and frowns. "Yeah? How'd hypnotizing yourself work out?"

"You disrespectful child!" The serpent practically explodes. Hissing and spitting for all he's worth. Clenched fists barely restrained by his sides. "I am Slithraa! Once proud General of the hypnobrai! I held that staff for decades! Decades! I will not tolerate such remarks!"

"Okay!" I slide between the two of them. Placating smile on my face. "SSSlithraa I a-apologize for him ssspeaking out of line, b-but let's not escalate things."

Slithraa settles, tongue flicking irritably. "At least you realize he is out of control."

"He started it first," Lloyd muttered as he kicked up some sand.

"That's n-not the problem here." I sigh and facepalm. "Honestly, if attitude was the-the deciding factor for the G-Green Ninja, you'd beat Kai, and he's non-nonsensical sssometimes."

"The what?" Lloyd looks absolutely lost.

I focus my attention on the disgraced warrior. "Again, I'm sssorry about a-all that but please, can we not f-fight? We are on the sssame ssside, and as a past General, I do want t-to get to know you."

Slithraa scrutinizes my face. His red eyes are unnervingly piercing, and my instincts absolutely hate meeting his gaze. "How am I to trust that you aren't just saying such to get me out of your feathers?"

"Our tribes are-are united for the first time i-in history," I say. "C-Can't we act united too?"

He rolls his eyes. "You are far too optimistic young General."

I simply smile at him. "SSSomeone has to be."

Slithraa harrumpts, "Don't get comfortable just because you are a snake. There are plenty of serpentine around that don't like you."

That is news to me. Concerning news. "Th-There are?"

"More than you realize," he says.

Lloyd peeks around me leveling a glare. "No one likes you either."

"And I can say for certain not a single serpentine tolerates your presence brat," Slithraa rounds on him instantly.

"True, but the boy is right stickler." A new voice joins.

"Who dares?!" Slithraa whirls around on him and his face twists in disgust. "You."

A hypnobrai soldier grins as he joins the party. Saddling on up right beside me. Maybe a tad too close to my liking. "Don't mind this one's threats, General. He too weak to even make good on it."