{32} Devoured

Arms wrap around my midsection and pull me back. I let go from Pythor in my surprise. Falling backwards with the stranger.

        Pythor gasps, turning to me with wide fear-stricken eyes. Watching as I'm pulled away from him.

        It's the last thing I see of him as the Great Devourer crashes down on the spot I'd just been. Swallowing Pythor whole. Just a foot away from my tail. I squeak in fright and shift back into my human form. Quickly trying to scoot backwards.

        A pair of hands grabs ahold of my arms and pulls me to my feet. I don't recognize the face before me at first because my brain is so scattered over the fact I nearly was eaten.

        "Are you alright?" Sensei Wu stands before me. Looking me over. I can't even muster the energy to respond to him. Much less do anything more than stand there just trying to process things.

        He gives me a concerned frown but quickly grabs one of my arms and slings it over his shoulder. Pressing a hand to my back. "Everyone, run!" He commands.

        He ushered me to run. My feet only follow on autopilot, and despite my better judgement, I look back.

        The Great Devourer pulls herself out from the depths of her prison. Slithering up out of the pit, her height dwarfs the buildings of Ouroboros. Her blazing gaze locked on us, eyes wild and unseeing. Her lips curl back in a snarl.

        Every part of me screams in terror. I turn back around and grip sensei's robes as I push my legs to their limit.

        The Bounty touches down outside the city. Blowing away gusts of sand. The ninja are running ahead of us. Racing to the safety of the ship.

        Jay fumbles and trips against the sand. Face planting into the stuff. He sputters and spits it out. Turning and looking back at us. His eyes rise further and shrink in horror at the beast behind us.

        I pull out of Sensei's grip and grab ahold of Jay's bicep and yank him to his feet. Not daring to stop running. He struggles to get his feet under him. Feet dragging and slipping. He grips my arm tightly in his shaking hands to stay up. His weight strains me but adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I keep my death grip on him till he regains his balance so he can run beside us.

        The guys ahead race up the plank to the ship. Easily hopping on board. Jay follows soon after with me and Sensei Wu close behind. He takes a moment to yank the plank back up while we rush up onto the Bounty's Bridge. Passing the parked Samurai mech on deck.

        Nya is at the helm face pinched in grim concentration. Lloyd is manning the console rapidly flicking through the ship's systems and adjusting to what Nya calls out.

        I'm barely through the Bridge door's threshold before Kai comes up and grabs me by the shoulders. "Can you stop scaring me with nearly dying for once?!"

        I cringe from the volume. Not really able to back away as he quickly inspects me.

        "Kai, don't yell at her," Zane says.

        "I knew I should've made you stay on the ship. I knew it." He says angrily more to himself as he grabs my arms and turns them this way and that. Lingering to stare at the fresh cut on my hand before moving to check my head.

        "You're bleeding again," he says worriedly. Holding my head at an awkward tilt. Hand touching the bandaged side of my face.

       I push his hand away, and step back. Taking an open hand and tapping the thumb twice against my chest. "I'm fine," I signed.