{29} Prove Your Worth

Trigger warning: Extreme violence

"Need a-anything from me?" I ask. Standing out on deck on the dawn of a new day as the Bounty slowly drifts above a city far below. The rocking under my feet as the boat stops doesn't make me stumble like it would have previously during my first days back.

Kai shakes his head, removing the golden sword from his back. "Nah, besides. It's safer you stay up here."

Zane beside him nods. "There hasn't been serpentine activity noted in quite some time, but it is best we are cautious."

I nod in agreement at that. Understanding the risks for me to be seen by any scouting serpentine at this time. As well as avoiding the awkwardness that's bound to come from any confrontations. I'd rather not deal with that at the moment.

Nya, at my side, crosses her arms and raises a brow at her brother. "You sure this is actually an errand run and not an excuse to start fights?"

Kai's eyes slide to Cole and Jay conversing near the edge of the deck. More notably lingering on the black cloaked ninja. A fist clenching at his side as he openly frowns in disdain.

"Kai," Nya's voice holds a warning tone.

He grits his teeth. Gripping tighter to his sword, to the point I swear I saw a lick of flame come from it. "If he so much as says anything-"

"Don't," Nya shuts him down immediately. Leveling him with a hard stare. "I'm upset with him too right now but Sensei has already told you off once."

He grumbles under his breath. Obviously not pleased in the slightest. Clearly still wanting to finish the fight he had after he saw my sorry state the other day.

"Kai, please," I speak up. Tiredness leaking into my voice as I try to ignore the pangs in my chest from looking in Cole's direction. "It's not worth th-the energy."

Kai's head slumps in defeat and he sighs. "Fine, but I'm watching him." With that he marches off to join the departing group. Keeping some distance between him and them as he glared. Cole pauses mid sentence to Jay and returns the glare at the red ninja. They have a heated staring contest for a moment before both turn their backs on each other.

"I'll make sure no fights break out between them." Zane offers.

"Please, I d-don't want them hurting each other." I say. Already knowing they both hide bruises under their ninja gi.

"You have my word," Zane assures. "We should be back around noon, though it may take longer."

"We'll be here don't worry," Nya smiles. "Now go on before they leave without you."

Zane waves goodbye and joins the rest. Once he does, they all step on the railing and leap off of the side of the ship. The flashes of light and the revving of engines soon after tell me they're already safely on their vehicles.

After a moment, as the sound fades away, Nya turns to me. "So... what do you want to do to past the time?"

I shrug helplessly. "I don't know. T-Training?"

"You know what, I think I know something better." Nya grins.

That's how I find myself hours later standing on the deck of the bounty yet again. Feet planted firmly on deck. Stance defensive. Hands gripped tightly around the familiar weight of a naginata. Staring down at my opponent across from me.

Nya stares back, eyes just as calculating of my movement. Lips pressed together in concentration. Her stance a mimicry of my own. She dons her Samurai armor sans her helmet. Her two hands grip tightly to the handle of a sword pointed directly at me.