Sin: part 9 (b)

Sometimes life feels so unreal, just like a really bad nightmare. Only you don't wake up from it.

"Simple deal, officer. Give us Joshua and free these children,"

I couldn't say anything, it felt like the world stopped around me. Every shocking eye in the room was on me now as they heard the exact unbelievable words as I was through the speaker. My eyes shut close on their own, I waited to finally know that it all was real and a very clever, well-made nasty plan to get Joshua.

"It's three lives versus one," he kept on with his manipulative voice, "Joshua is the key to free them. They have their whole life ahead, don't you want their freedom, they're missing their parents. Quickly tell us, inspector, where is Joshua, and I won't touch any of the children?" he took a pause, and when I didn't say anything in return, he spoke again, "What happened, officer? Cat got your tongue?"

I opened my eyes, took a breath, and spoke, "Do you really want him that bad to go to the extent of kidnapping children and blackmailing a police officer?" I kept my voice sober and stern, trying hard not to break my patience.

"You've hidden him pretty well, inspector. What can we do?" he said, "Now can you hurry and decide if you're giving us Joshua or we do our work with these three? The auspicious time of sacrifice is getting near,"

"No! Look, I, um..." I licked my dried lips and paced in the room, "I'm ready to give you anything you want, okay? Take all my money, my car, my house. But don't take any life... please," I added, "You don't have any authority to sacrifice innocent lives in the name of God! It's evil what you're doing. Confess your crimes now and I can get your sentence reduced,"

No voice came from another line for almost a minute, then all of a sudden I heard him telling someone, "Okay, so we're going with the children. Take them to the chamber,"

"No! No! Stop! Wait, wait-" I screamed on the phone, "Don't do anything to them! Let's... let's settle this, alright?"

"How?" he asked earnestly.

"Um, uh..." I gave it a thought for a few seconds, and couldn't find any better idea except, "Take my life... instead. And spare them. Please. See, I... I don't have any family. There's no one behind me-"

I was cut off when he started laughing, "Oh, officer, you do some funny talk. If it was that easy, you wouldn't be talking to me right now, and resting somewhere deep in the lake instead. It's either Joshua or three children, well if you give me all four, I can give you one-third of the fruit I'll be getting after their sacrifice,"

"Not even in a million years!" My patience finally broke its limits, anger had no boundaries at the moment after hearing what he just said, "Are you a fucking idiot? Do you really think there's actually a God sitting up there, ready to receive the souls you sacrifice, and getting all delightful? And as if he's gonna really incarnate on earth again and give you his actual powers in return? You're just a serial killer! A murderer! And I swear I'll make sure that you get nothing less than the death sentence, I'll make your life hell! You hear me, you fucking psychopath?!"

But this didn't seem to budge him at all. He made me hear the shrieks and cries of the children again, "Joshua or them. You choose, now,"

"Why Joshua?!" I demanded, half cried, "Why do you want him so bad?! He's just a mute innocent guy, what harm has he ever done to you? Why can't you sacrifice the ones who has actually done bad?! The sinners!"