Flashback: part 1

I'm quite happy nowadays.

Last week, I'd finally asked Joshua out after waiting for two months. As he always stays 'silent' it's hard to figure out what goes on his mind. I was having conflicting thoughts if he feels the same or not. But some little gestures from him were indicating there was a spark between us. And— it clicked!

After work, I headed toward the same bookstore I've been going ever since just to see him. Because of him, there's a pile of unread books in my house. He works as a part-timer there to pay for his rent. The thing is, he's not from this city while I grew up here, he came here for some special kind of technical studies and lives alone in an apartment.

There was a soft jingle as I pushed the door of the bookstore open, and the first person my eyes captured was him. He was arranging some books on a shelf.  

 With quiet steps, I stood beside him and said casually, taking out a copy of 'Red, White & Royal Blue' from the upper shelf. "Can I get a discount on it? What do you think?"

He gave me a second glance, then grinned brightly when recognized it was me. I couldn't see him for three days, because of our different shifts and all. 

"Hi," I said, embracing him warmly. Though we are officially boyfriends now, we haven't reached that far to greet each other with kisses. Still, I sometimes think of trying it but stop myself, thinking what if he isn't ready yet and then it gets all awkward between us.

 "How are you?" I asked.

He showed me a thumb down, making a gloomy face. "What happened?"

He made a circle gesturing around in the bookstore, mouthing a word that seemed like 'work'.

"Oh, you've been working a lot?"

He nodded sadly and moved to another shelf. 

"Hey, um, I could've asked you through chat but I wanted to ask you this personally," I said, helping him to put the books. He turned his head to me. "Are you free this Friday?" 

He showed me his index finger, checked his schedule on his phone, then nodded his head. 

"Uh, would you... like to... go to the beach... with me?" I asked nervously. I still have no clue about his favorite places and the other things he likes. I barely know anything about him.

It gave me relief when I saw the corner of his lips rising up. He nodded excitedly. 

"Great!" I exclaimed, "It's— a date, then?" 

He smiled, took the book from my hand, and shyly gave a nod.

Friday! Finally! 

I spent my whole week preparing for this day, why not, it was my first date with him. I want him to have a lovely time with me, to strengthen our bond and relationship. 

Late in the morning, after getting everything set, I reached his building, got out of my car, and gave him a missed call. I would've gone up on the floor, but I don't know his apartment number. 

In some five minutes, he came out of his building entrance, wearing a striped light pink shirt over a white tee and white shorts, with a black cross bag. I was just pondering how he can always look so ethereal even in the simplest attire.