41

"Hey," Meredith giggled as she came up behind Derek, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Oh...hey," Derek smiled, leaning back into her.

"How are you?" she murmured into his shoulder.

"I'm better now, you?" he asked, his hand covering hers.

"Great," she smiled. "I'm off work."

"Well now I kind of hate you," he sighed.

"You're the one who scheduled a DBS for six-thirty," she rolled her eyes as he turned in her arms.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time," he frowned, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Well, you definitely don't get to hate me," she smiled, kissing the corner of his lips. "It's not a long procedure."

"No, it's not," he sighed. "Thankfully."

"And there's another reason you can't hate me."

"And what is that?"

"I have to be here at five tomorrow," she sighed.

"Ouch," he winced.

"Exactly," she nodded. "And..."

"And?"

"I got you coffee this morning," she reminded him. "You can't hate someone who gets you coffee. And you definitely can't hate someone who is inviting you over for a movie."

"I haven't heard any invites for a movie."

"You haven't? Are you sure?"

"I'm quite certain."

"Oh," she giggled. "I guess I forgot. Derek, will you come over to watch Jerry Maguire with me tonight?"

"Jerry? I don't think I can turn down Jerry."

"That's what I thought," Meredith smiled widely. "But just a movie. I need an early night tonight."

"I'm good with just Jerry," he nodded.

"Good. So you'll come after your DBS?"

"Definitely," he smiled. "I'll be right over as soon as I'm done."

"For Jerry and...a surprise."

"A surprise?"

"Yep," she grinned. "A surprise."

"Mer...it doesn't involve you cooking, does it?"

"It definitely doesn't involve me cooking," she laughed. "That would be a very bad surprise."

"A terrible surprise," he nodded.

"No, this is definitely a good surprise. Well, good for you. If someone surprised me with this, I would probably want to throw up or hurt them...anyway, good surprise for you."

"I'm a little worried," he laughed.

"It's a good surprise, Der."

"I'll take your word on it for now."

"So I'll see you by nine?" she smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I'll be there," he smiled.

"Good," she whispered, kissing him lightly. "Good luck on your DBS."

"Thanks," he murmured. "I'll try to keep it fast."

"I'll see you in a few hours."

"Definitely," he nodded, kissing her quickly again.

"Bye, Der," she whispered, turning out of his arms and walking away, stopping to look back at him before turning the corner. It wasn't a date. It wasn't a date at all. It was just the two of them hanging out, which they actually did a lot. And she hadn't been sure she was even going to ask him until she had seen him. And then she had just wanted to spend time with him.