38

She wanted to giggle. She was walking down the hallway at work, she had just finished on someone that was bleeding into their brain and she felt like giggling. Which was bad. She definitely shouldn't be thinking of giggling when she was walking down the hall at work. She was a doctor. A very serious doctor. Very serious doctors did not spend time giggling about perfect dates the night before.

And it had been completely perfect. Even after some of the most awkward moments, it had been kind of stupidly perfect. They had eaten amazing food and shared the most amazing dessert and then had sat at the table talking for hours until they were basically kicked out. It had been perfect. So perfect. Which she usually hated that word but now it was on repeat in her head as she fought the urge to giggle.

They had gone on a lot of dates before. Thirteen years ago there had been tons of dates. And most of them had been really great. But she wasn't sure any of them had ever been that perfect. But last night had been perfect. Last night had probably been some weird form of a text book date but it had been so perfectly them. She definitely had to stop thinking of the word perfect.

She should probably start thinking of other words. But then she thought of him walking her to her door, his hand tightly clasping hers. They had stood in front of her door for over twenty minutes before he had finally leaned into her, lightly brushing his lips against hers before whispering good night and walking away. And she had just leaned against her door, wondering how they had gotten to this perfect point.

There had been a lot of screaming at first. She had wanted the screaming. Actually she had hated the screaming except it was all she could do when he was around. And then there had been talking. But talking wasn't supposed to lead to this. They were supposed to be talking so they could work together, not so they could become this. Whatever this perfect feeling thing was.

And now she was walking down the hallway fighting the urge to giggle over the perfect kiss the night before. Over the way his body felt against hers. Over how good his hand felt in hers. For right now, she felt beyond perfect. She felt giggly and happy and...it had been completely right. Completely perfect. And right now, the voice in her head that was usually screaming about being careful was a lot quieter than usual.

"So are you ignoring me now?" his warm voice came from behind her.

"What?" she giggled, turning to look at him.

"You just walked right past me," he laughed. "I swear you follow me around this place. And then I buy you a steak and it's like I'm invisible."

"I walked past you?"

"You did."

"No I didn't."

"I was standing right here doing charts and you walked right past me," he smirked.

"You must have been hiding."

"Yes, Mer, I was hiding," he rolled his eyes.

"You must have been," she giggled. Great, now the giggling was starting. It probably wouldn't stop. She couldn't be Dr. Meredith Grey if she was giggling non stop.

"Or maybe you were just too busy floating around."

"Floating around?"

"You should see the look on your face."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she giggled.

"Because you're not looking in a mirror," he smiled softly, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Is it bad?" she frowned slightly, leaning into his touch.

"Definitely not bad," he murmured. "You look happy."