Chapter 26

Amy went into the lair.

"Did it hurt?" asked Max.

"When I fell from heaven?" asked Amy, rolling her eyes.

"No, when you crawled out of hell" said Max.

"Thank goodness, I was worried that I'd been hanging around with Hartley so long that I seemed angelic. You mean because I'm hot as hell?" asked Amy.

"No, well yes, but I was asking out of genuine curiosity" said Max.

"Yes, it did actually. You know, you're the first person whos cared enough to ask" said Amy, "Have you had any luck with getting the machine to work again?"

 "We haven't yet, but now that I've got Max helping  me with that, It's freed my time up to do other things. I'm working on fixing the economy" said Vic.

 "That doesn't sound like something you would do" said Amy.

 "Well, you know how the world has gone to madness all by itself in the past few years?" asked Vic.

 "Where's this going?" asked Amy.

 "That's making it very difficult for me to be the one causing the madness. I'm fixing the economy, so that I can collapse it again. You know what they say, if its already broke, fix it, so that you can break it again" said Vic.

 "Flawless logic" said Max, impressed.

 "Just get a jenga tower, you weird old man. That's nothing special. I singlehandedly collapsed the economy twice by the time I was fourteen - and I didn't have to do something lame like fix it first" said Amy.

 "Will you marry me?" asked Max, getting down on one knee.

 "I think you're proposing to the wrong Madden. Jake's in his room, thinking about what a terrible brother he is" said Amy.

 "Stop being ridiculous, Amy. I'd never marry Jake. He is a nerd" said Max, getting up.

 "I can see how that would be a problem" said Amy, "You missed your chance with him anyway. He's in love with some trashy su -" started Amy. Amy looked at her parents and dragged Max to a further away corner of the lair where they couldn't  hear her.

 "If I tell you something, do you promise not to tell my parents?" asked Amy.

 "Sure, I love being dishonest" said Max.

 "You seem trustworthy" said Amy, "Jake's been dating some trashy superhero who thinks that she's better than me" said Amy.

 "Jake's dating phoebe?" asked Max.

 "No, Starling. I can understand how that description could be confusing though" said Amy.

 "Ugh, Who'd want to date a superhero? He's meant to be a supervillain" said Max. 

"That's what I said" said Amy, "After all I've done for him. You know, the other day, Jake wanted to clean up graffiti, and so I used my own valuable time to make a bunch of graffiti just so that he would have something to do with his pathetic little life" said Amy.

 "That's so thoughtful of you, he's so lucky to have you" said Max, "I know what having difficult siblings is like. Sometimes, I worry that if I don't cause enough problems, phoebe will realize that her existence is meaningless".

 "I realize that. And how does he repay me? Running into the arms of my nemesis behind my back" said Amy.

 Hartley came to join them in the lair after phoebe went home.

 "Has the superhero gone? You should just come to the dark side already, and then we can go and kill her together. I'm tired of having to hold it together around her for you" said Amy.

 "I'm not joining the dark side - or killing someone" said Hartley.

 "Did I mention that the dark side has cookies?" asked Amy.

 "I know that, Amy. I made the cookies" said Hartley.

 "Whatever. I was just telling Max about some of the bad things I've done" said Amy.

 "I keep telling you to stop doing bad things" said Hartley.

 "Oh, relax, Hartley. I always make sure that the bad things I do don't affect you" said Amy, "Or I try to, it doesn't always go well. Mostly because I don't try that hard, I'm not really into that whole 'effort' thing".

 "That's... almost, kind of sweet of you...in your own messed up way, I guess" said Hartley.

 "That's my band" said Amy.

 "You mean your brand?" asked Max.

"No, my band. 'Almost, kind of sweet of you in your own messed up way.' It was the original name of my villain band back in Centropolis. We decided that was too long a title later on and changed it to 'Bloody Gothic Rose 666" said Amy.

 "You were in a band?" asked Max, smitten.

 "Yes, I was the lead singer of it and I played guitar" said Amy.

 "For getting invited to all the house parties?" asked Max.

 "No, for making music" said Amy. Max looked very confused.

 "I like singing, maybe we could start a band" said Hartley.

 "Only if doing that would mean putting my middle finger up at a prep" said Amy.

 "Putting your middle finger up at people is rude! Although, to be honest, there is one  particular prep at school who I would like to put my middle finger up at" said Hartley.

 "Really, there's a  person in the world who you don't like?" asked Amy.

 "Amy, what if I told you that I knew someone who was both nice and mean at the same time?" asked Hartley.

 "I'd say 'what? Ew. That's like cheating on being mean. Ew." said Amy.

 "Yeah, you're gonna hate her" said Hartley.

 Colosso popped out of Max's backpack. 

 "I'm already on the dark side, but I'll take one of those cookies if they're still on offer" said Colosso.  

 "Max, where did you get a talking rabbit?" asked Amy.

 "Oh, he's a supervillain. He wanted to take over the world and annihilate everyone in his path, so my dad turned him into a rabbit" said Max casually.

 "MY RAGE!" exclaimed Amy.