22. The pain we share

Madame Loret needed to act fast. She contacted her brother immediately, "Victor, we have a problem."

He moaned out loud before asking his sister annoyed, "What is it?"

"That thing is back...this...monster."

"What?!", wow he didn't see that coming.

His sister wasn't finished yet, "Do you have a revolver?"

"No...Loret...are you asking me to kill this thing?"

He didn't expect what she said next, "I am not asking you, I order you to! If this thing performs tonight, I will lose the cabaret and my reputation."

Victor wasn't aware that there was a limit on this, as his sister explained, "I could persuade this Mr. Ronno to make up a date, if you get my drift." He knows his sister better than anyone. Money is no issue to her, as long she gets what she wants. The next, Loret ordered him to come by and get her revolver. She couldn't afford for the two to show up on stage, "Don't dissapoint me brother."

By now, I got awakened by the sun.

I began to smile...until I noticed the bedside...was empty, "Franc?" Wrapping the bed sheets around me, I checked all rooms for him...he was not there. My body shook, realizing that he had left me. Not even sure of how long he was gone, I began to believe that he just wanted a one night stand. This thought scared me the most. As much as I try to see a positive side, thinking that he might be getting something to eat for us or is out to get a job. The more time has passed, the more I felt that the one night stand was the only thing that made sense. Feeling awfully betrayed, I didn't pay attention to the shadow, watching me.

It was Francoeur, whimpering at the sight of me, while I broke down in tears.

As much as he wanted to comfort me, telling me that he is right there. He couldn't. One look into the puddle and he knew why. His chest hurts, seeing me in pain only made him suffer with me. He was sure, only the portion can help him, but as long Lucille is there, he won't be able to get it. Tears also formed into his eyes, feeling extremely hopeless.

Raoul and Emile have by now left the canal, smelling awful.

Emile had the plan to go to the Cabaret, but Raoul rather pay the doc a visit. The questions around Francoeur bother him. The agreed on going separate ways, Emile should go to Lucille and Raoul goes to the professor. By all this what happened Emile's girlfriend, Mort, wasn't aware in what danger she was in. Since the cabaret was not open until tonight, she kept on working at the cinema. Madame Loret didn't pay much attention to her, but her brother sure does. He closed her into the attic of the cinema palace. Victor is no idiot. He knows that killing humans can get him into prison, but a monster...is no human.

Emile however, reached the cabaret a few minutes later, only to be caught by Madame Loret.

His mistake was to sneak in. Once on stage, she turned off the lights. Emile was lost in darkness, until he fell into something. As the light came back, he could see the Madame, pulling a board over the hole. Instead of asking for her motive, his leg received all his attention. One thing was sure; he couldn't help anyone in his condition now.

Only Lucille and Raoul could, thought Emile, holding his broken leg.

Madame Loret had enough of this interruption, "My brother is nothing but a screw up!" In her handbag, she always carries an extra pistol, "I deal with this myself."