Chapter Eight Part Two

Sister White slowly rose to her feet, rolling her shoulders to remove the kinks. She watched as her fellow sisters slowly came to, rising slowly. Valhalla was very slow to get up, her knee was giving her problems. Eventide leaned against the wall of the nearby building and tried stretching out her kinks as she took out a cell phone. Sister White was impressed. It wasn't often when one combatant was able to dispatch four highly trained Sisters. This Grey Kestrel could perhaps be a deadly enemy, or an important ally.

Eventide made the call, appraising the Mistress of their situation. She was very quiet and spoke in low tones as she replied in short sentences. They had failed, to a point, but the operation wasn't a complete failure. They had information about Kestrel and Hawk's Scream, and now they knew Operative Violet Rose had planned all along to betray them.

“We are ordered to rendezvous at the airport,” Eventide reported as she slipped the cell phone away. “We'll meet a car to take us to a relatively close safehouse. There we'll pick up our next assignment after we receive medical attention.” Eventide studied each woman carefully, noting their injuries. It seemed she and Sister White were the least injured. At least they would be able to pick up the next assignment.

Eventide moved to stand next to Sister White. She leaned close to the woman and whispered. “Are you alright?”

“I'm fine,” White replied in an even tone.

Eventide nodded in reply, but added one thing after some thought. “What did you whisper to Kestrel?” White furrowed her brow and looked directly at Eventide. Eventide smirked slightly as she continued. “I heard you mutter something, what did you tell Kestrel?”

“I was taunting her,” White again replied. “It obviously didn't work.”

“Obviously,” Eventide replied with a nod before turning her attention to the other Sisters. “We'd better move quickly. We haven't much time.” Slowly, they began to crawl back into the shadows. Eventide kept a close eye on Sister White. Her instincts told her something, and she had learned to trust her instincts. She believed Sister White was no longer trustworthy.

They would have to make an example of her on this next assignment.

The ambulance was now classed as evidence. Police poured over it as Naomi watched them. She had to tell the truth that she had recognized Monty. Truth to a point. She said she recognized him, but only after they had arrived at the hospital. Her only concern was making sure Gerald was safe.

Still, she did not feel exactly vindicated with her decision. Rose had escaped. A wanted criminal, gone into the shadows again. And now, with his betrayal of the Red Hand, even more difficult to find than before. At least Maxie had captured Dimitri. That was some consolation at least.

Naomi let out a sigh as she leaned against one of the pillars in front of the hospital. Why did things like this have to happen to good people? She really didn't know, maybe some day she'd learn this secret of life. But today...

The thought was pushed aside as something caught her eye. Something out of place, hanging from the upper portion of the pillar. She reached up, and caught a hold of it, pulling it down. Naomi smirked as she studied the plushie. A toy kangaroo. A note was attached to it, which she read with a smile.

Sorry, Shiela. Maybe next time. Love the suit, by the way. Love, Monty.

Maybe next time indeed.