Chapter Two Part Three

3:47 pm. - August 22, 2002

The door to the suite opened slowly as the bell hop ensured that nothing was damaged. For three people there was a lot of luggage for just a four day convention. The bellhop busied himself with the luggage, removing it from the trolley as Naomi lay Petey down on the bed. It had been a long trip, and the boy was very tired, even if his journey began with excitement lighting up his eyes. Maxwell paid the bellhop a tip and thanked the man, then proceeded to sit heavily in one of the chairs in the room. Naomi had already stretched out on one of the other beds.

"I can't believe we just drove for thirteen hours," she said in an exasperated voice. "I don't think I ever want to see the inside of a car again."

"We have to drive back," Maxwell reminded her with a tired chuckle.

"Forget it," she huffed. "I'll call up the director of CSIS and see if he can't get a Hercules to pick us all up." She chuckled as she made the comment, only making Maxwell laugh harder as well. "What's the plan for tonight?" Naomi said softly, changing the subject.

"Dinner with the professors," Maxwell said as he took out a small brochure. It detailed their weekend and different events and discussions at the conference. "Cocktails at six, and dinner at seven. Guest speaker to follow."

"Are you speaking at this tonight?" Naomi asked as she draped one arm over her eyes.

"No," Maxwell replied as he set down the brochure. "I don't speak until tomorrow morning."

"Good," she stated, not moving a muscle. She didn't want to move. Very odd, considering none of them had moved the entire trip in the car. "Who gets the first crack at the shower?"

"I don't wanna move," he replied as he lay his head back on the chair. As the pair of adults remained still, to tired to do anything more than just breathe, Petey woke up from his light sleep. He looked around for a moment as one tired hand wiped the sleep from his eyes, then caught sight of the door to the bathroom, and lazily loped over to it. Soon, after the door had closed, the sound of running water could be heard. Maxwell looked up for only a moment to gaze toward the bathroom door, then over to Naomi. "He's having a shower? Isn't that a cardinal sin for an eight year old?"

"He's a smart kid," Naomi replied, the only move she made was to crack a bright smile. She was proud of her son. Even the smallest thing he did was amazing in her eyes. "Dibs after he's done. Because I'll have to clean it before you get in."

"Good," Maxwell replied as he yawned. "Maybe I'll get a nap." He sat in the chair for a moment longer, letting the silence fill the room. And then spoke the most random thing. "I wonder how Zachary's doing with Ernie."

Naomi could only chuckle where she lay. "You and that damned cat."