Chapter Five Part One

Shreveport, Louisianan - 12:26 pm. - August 23, 2002

The pair of combatants circled each other in the ring, watching each other carefully. One was a seasoned veteran, she had seen many years in the field and was considered extremely valuable. The second, a rookie, but a promising one none the less. Many of the hierarchy of the Sisterhood held each with high regard. The Sisterhood was an old organization. Filled with women, they were trained assassins. Silent and deadly as they were beautiful. Their skill in battle was unmatched. Though knowledge of their existence was not well known. They trained rigorously, perfecting their art. On this day, they used this exercise as a training session for the younger members. All children, all brought into the Sisterhood or born into it.

That included the daughter of one of the combatants.

Danielle Jayden Walker. Her brilliant green eyes were filled with wonder as she watched. She tried to remain seated, tried to remain emotionless as her instructors had taught her, but her mother had filled her head with other things.

Secretly, Sister Jade had taught her daughter. Having earned the respect of the Mistresses, she was able to convince them to allow Danielle to stay with her in her dorm room in Shreveport. It was here that Sister Jade told Danielle as much as she could about her father. Johnathon Tiberius Walker.

Sister Jade was a seasoned veteran. She watched her opponent carefully. Sister White was no slouch, however. Her youthful appearance only masked her ability to learn quickly and adapt. She was also determined. This training session was another step up the ladder for her.

They had circled each other for sometime. It seemed as though neither one would strike out and attack. The Overseer was growing impatient. This was a lesson for the younger members. What kind of lesson would they learn by merely circling. Perhaps that was why Jade and White were in the ring, and not the Overseer. Those two were accomplished fighters, and they would fight when they were ready.

It came without warning.

Sister White lashed out. There was no cry to initiate the attack, she merely drew closer as they circled and found the proper opening. Jade was ready for it, but White's youth and speed prevailed over Jade's actions. Sister White swung her katana down, only to be met by Jade's. Jade pushed her back, trying to right her stance, but White pressed the attack. She would draw no quarter. Jade did everything she could to defend each incoming attack. She matched speed by blocking each blow with precision. Making White think her moves carefully. With each blow, it allowed Sister White an opportunity to study her opponent more.

Danielle watched closely from the sidelines. Her arms twitched slightly, as she imitated her mother's movements. She seemed to anticipate White's attacks. Worry, however, crept into her mind. White was faster, stronger and seemed more cunning. Danielle could almost anticipate the outcome. It came faster than she had thought it would.

Sister White countered an attack from Jade, and matched it with a powerful blow. Jade barely had the time to block it, but it left an opening. Instead of swinging out again, White slammed her shoulder into Jade's chest, knocking the wind out of her, and causing her to fall to the floor. The session was over. As the rules stated, the first combatant to fall was the loser. This was never a fight to the death.

Although it was a training session, Danielle still watched as though it was life and death, and when her mother fell, she cried out. “Mom!” she shouted as she quickly rose to her feet and rushed to Jade's side. The Overseer was not impressed, and her expression displayed that. Sister White merely stood by and watched. Danielle crouched beside her mother, worry filling her eyes. A simple smile and a consoling hand from her mother seemed to ease Danielle, but the sound of steel on steel as a katana was sheathed made Danielle turn. Her eyes became filled with hate.

She rose to her feet and faced Sister White. White could see the hatred and defiance, but she could also sense trepidation and some fear. This girl was only twelve years old, and had not fully participated in combat trials. White's own features became hardened as her eyes glared at Danielle, and in a low growl of a voice she whispered. “Not today child. I have no intentions of killing you.”

“Enough,” a voice shouted from the entryway of the combat hall. The Mistress had made her appearance. Something important was about to take place. The Mistress never watched combat trials, the Overseers always reported their findings later. “I have received a call from the Russian operative. He has touched down in Columbus. He is requesting four of you.” Her eyes drifted through the room waiting for volunteers. Quickly, the tall figure of Sister Valhalla stepped forward with a nod, indicating she would go. Then, Sister Eventide stepped forward. Danielle Walker turned as she felt a hand on her shoulder. Her instructor, Sister Tascalusa, walked quickly to join Eventide and Valhalla. Just one more was required.

That last one came as Sister White moved slowly and quietly to join them.

“What is the objective?” Sister Eventide asked in a curt but formal manner.

“Elimination of a target,” The Mistress informed them. “You will be joining Truth Seeker in Columbus. Once you have done so, you will rendezvous with the other operatives. A strike force lead by Operative Violet Rose.”

Danielle Walker's eyes seemed to light up. Sister Jade had told her of the code name her father used. Suddenly, the worry she felt before was nothing compared to what she felt now.