Chapter One Part Three

Ottawa, Ontario

4:20 pm. - August 20, 2002

Petey Running Cloud Simonson sat on the floor of the two bedroom apartment and watched TV. For this eight year old, he was going to grip onto his summer holidays for all he could. But there was some excitement in his eyes at the concept of school. Especially a new school. But this was so much more of a change than his school in Moose Jaw, and Ottawa was so much bigger. At least they had a triple A baseball team with the Ottawa Lynx. Maybe, his mom would drive him to Toronto to catch a Blue Jays game sometime.

If she could get past her period of mourning.

Naomi had just begun to let it sink in that her husband was gone. Killed in action as the Canadian Armed Forces assisted the United States Military in the search for Osama Bin Laden during the months that followed September 11th, she returned to Canada not to a hero's welcome, but to say good bye to the love of her life. It was then that Canadian Secret Intelligence Service Paranormal Division contacted her. They had been watching her, and she was invited to join their ranks.

Like a good soldier, she did, though, her new posting was not without it's oddities. Her superiors were, to say the least, a rather odd group. As she would learn, Naomi was the first human brought into the ranks of CSIS Paranormal Division. Often she would question herself, and question why she was brought into this organization. Just being there meant everything she grew up knowing, was so very wrong. But at the same time, it confirmed so much.

Those thoughts were not filling her mind on this day as the phone rang.

She looked up from her comfy chair, mildly annoyed at the interruption, and glanced toward the phone's call display. At least it was her brother, Maxwell. He could at least make her smile when things looked at their worst. Only he and Petey were the two things keeping her anchored. “Hello,” she spoke with a soft voice as she picked up the phone.

“How's my favourite sister these days?” Maxwell said with a smile in his voice. He had news, and from the sound of it, good news. That was something she needed to hear. Although, even hearing the sound of her brother's voice was enough to lift her spirits.

“I'm your only sister, Maxie,” Naomi chuckled in reply. She set her book down on a side table next to her reading lamp, after bending over the page to mark her place. “You sound like your in a good mood.”

“As good as I can be for someone who was just invited to attend one of North America's most prestigious anthropological conventions,” he explained. The joy in his voice could not be contained. He was more than likely as giddy as a school boy on Christmas Eve. “The university is going to give me a little time, seeing how I got most of my work done in June and July.”

“Nothing like prep time to give you some stress free time,” Naomi replied as she relaxed in her recliner. It was good to have a normal conversation for once. One that didn't involve her work. “Sounds like you've got a chance in a life time.”

“Why don't you come along,” he suggested. Naomi merely perked an eyebrow at the suggestion. The sudden pause in the conversation was noted by Maxwell, which only allowed him to continue. “The Yankees are playing a series in Cleveland, we can take Petey to see the game. I know a couple of professors at Ohio State that can get me tickets. Plus, we can take him to the zoo.” Naomi didn't reply right away, as she considered the offer. But again, there was a pause which Maxwell quickly filled. “I can meet you in Windsor tomorrow and we can drive down to Columbus.”

“Drive!” Naomi finally said incredulously. “Okay, but you're driving from Windsor, buddy. I have to fight traffic through Toronto.” She sighed and shook her head, realizing that without any further discussion or thought, she had just accepted his invitation. Maxwell had a knack for doing that, and sometimes it drove Naomi nuts. “Means we're gonna have to get going now.”

“You get ready,” Maxwell stated. “I'll see you tomorrow.” He rang off, leaving Naomi to just shake her head. At least her brother was still such a free spirit, and in some ways, it was almost contagious. As she placed the phone back on it's cradle she looked to her son as he watched television. This might be a good trip for him. “Hey squirt,” she said as she leaned forward in the chair. Petey looked back, rolling his eyes as he gave her the mom! look. “Yankees are playing Cleveland this weekend. Your uncle can snag tickets.” Suddenly, her son's eyes widened as the television was long forgotten. He rose to his feet, excitement in his eyes. “One catch,” she said as she held up her index finger, her son's attention was fully hanging onto her words. “We leave in half an hour. Which means we need to get ourselves ready.”

She didn't have to say anything else as Petey raced into his room, scrambling to wash and pack. Naomi just shook her head and laughed. Given the proper motivation, her son could simply amaze her sometimes. She slowly rose to her feet and went to her bedroom, and methodically began packing. She smiled as she did so. It would be a nice little holiday.

Even if she had to contact her director to let them know of her whereabouts. And, of course, see if they could let the proper authorities know she would be on American soil. Vacation or not, it was always best to let the American spooks know, that a Canadian spook would be in their midst.