Chapter Two Part Two

3:36 pm. - August 22, 2002

"...the world will always be changing. Something is coming and we have to be prepared for it. We must stand together, for the betterment of mankind. What we do, is for the common good of all." Each word from the general was emphasized with a fist pumped into the air. The men and women on the floor of the gathering hall cheered as the speech came to an end. But up in the top level, where the other gunslingers gathered, there was no cheering. They'd heard the flowery speeches before. They knew what life was like for them and the agents under their command. It was always the same for them.

One of them knew only too well what this life in the Red Hand really was like.

Johnathon Walker tossed his cigarette to the ground and crushed it with his boot heel as he moved toward the exit. "They knew you were smoking, Rose," one of the other gunslingers said without looking up. "They'd have you killed."

"Their minds 're more concerned with matters o' politics, m'friend," Walker replied calmly as he slowly looked back to the speaker. An old friend, one he had met when he was recruit to the ranks of the Red Hand. "An' those politics don't include the cleanliness o' air. 'Sides, they already choke up the air 'nough with their rhetoric."

"Ya keep talkin' like that, mate an' ya'll get y'self shot," the Aussie next to him drawled. Omega Six. The man had served long enough with Walker in this organization, and had seen more than many of those in the upper hierarchy of the Red Hand. "The word's lay low an' keep quiet, innit mate?" quickly changing the topic from a simple cigarette to more pressing matters.

"Only in the field, Six," Walker replied. He looked back toward the main stage as more speeches were being made to the gathered crowd. A futile effort to bolster courage among an organization dedicated to spreading lies. "C'mon, Six. We don't need ta hear anymore o' this bullshit." He rubbed the knuckles of his right hand absently as he began walking down the hallway. Today was a bad day, today he actually felt old as his arthritis began to flare up. Not a good thing for a gunslinger to be afflicted with.

Omega Six glanced down to the convention floor before he turned to catch up with Walker. "Things're changin', innit, Sir?" Six had discussed the plan with Walker enough times, he knew when the wind had changed direction. And when it was time to get out. Monty had a very good idea of what was about to happen.

"Yeah, Six. They are." Walker collected his gear in his slow, methodical way as he spoke. "Remember the orders we got fer Ohio?" Six nodded sagely. "Well, I scouted the target out. Kid's name is Gerald Cleaves. Only son o' Senator Harold Cleaves, from Florida. Word is Cleaves is the go to man fer legislation on the future o' oil an' gas in this country. We've been tol' ta nab the kid, an' put pressure on Cleaves. If Cleaves don't sway, then Gerald pays.” Walker paused and sighed as his voice grew quiet. “Know how old the kid is?" His men said nothing, they only waited for some sort of reply. "Seventeen, maybe eighteen." He took out another cigarette, lighting it and inhaled from it deeply. Walker closed his eyes, ignoring the disapproving looks from the other gunslingers. "Boys. It's time I got out."

A few of the other men began to protest, but a look from Omega Six quickly quieted them. They'd been in the service of the old gunslinger for years, and they knew of his convictions. When he'd made a decision, he would stick to it. "Whaddya want us ta do, mate?"

"Monty," Walker said with a sigh as he dropped the formalities of rank. Malcolm Montgomery Watt had been his second in command for longer than even the old gun hand could remember. "You know how good we are at fixin' things. Well, it's 'bout time we fix things up real good, an' make this here group think things went so south, that it were us that bought it."

"Disappear," Monty replied quietly. His commanding officer nodded in full agreement. Within a few moments, the decision had been made. No one argued anymore. They'd back his play.

Walker was getting out.