Chapter Three Part Two

11:05 pm. - August 22, 2002

Maxwell watched Naomi as she tucked Petey into bed. She'd been quiet since the left the dinner. He asked if something might be wrong, but she avoided the question rather quickly. But now, it was nagging at him and he could tell there was something bothering her as she went through rather methodical motions. "Somethings got you bugged," he idly commented. "Did something happen at the dinner?"

"You could say that," she replied as she opened a suitcase with her laptop. She hooked it up to the hotel's network and turned it on as she took out her cellphone and began dialing. Naomi waited as it rang, holding her hand up to shush her brother. Maxwell was now completely confused, and frustrated. His sister wasn't saying word one to him, then someone answered the phone and he could tell she had switched to spook mode. She muttered quietly into the receiver and waited again. It was only a few minutes and she spoke in a regular tone again. "Good evening, Amanda. I need some help. I'm going to log into the suspect files and I need an identity match." She paused for a moment, obviously Amanda was speaking on the other end of the phone. "Logging in right now," she spoke as her fingers tapped in the commands on the keyboard. Soon enough, the answer came for Maxwell as the CSIS Paranormal Division logo popped up on her screen. "Amanda, I'm going to put you on speaker. My brother's with me, and this could end up involving him as well." Maxwell heard some chatter on the other end, which to him, Naomi seemed to ignore as she hooked the cellphone up to a pair of small speakers.

"...unauthorized personnel, Agent. ...bloody..." The voice paused a moment before the sound of someone clearing their throat could be heard. "Good evening, Professor Running Cloud."

"Um... evening," he replied to the cellphone. He was thoroughly confused now. Maxwell leaned against the back of a chair and looked to his sister for help, but received none.

"Amanda, I'm going through the criminal database," she explained as her fingers flew over the keys. On the screen a series of small files appeared, each with a name and photo. "The individual I'm looking for is maybe early 30's, male, Australian, dark hair, about 6 feet tall. He said he was with the military, but that could have been a lie." She continued typing as she spoke, looking through the database and narrowing down her search. There was matching typing heard over the cellphone.

"This could be an incredibly narrow search, Agent Running Cloud," Amanda reported after a few moments. "After all, the number of Australian criminals wanted internationally is equal to the number of Canadian criminals wanted internationally."

"Please don't tell me that Australia has the same stigma that we do," Naomi sighed. "Polite, but still wanting to stab you in the back." Maxwell smirked and there was a small chuckle on the other end of the phone.

"No, I doubt that," Amanda replied. "I'm going to make an addition to the search and see what I might be able to discover." Naomi leaned back in her chair. Her gut feeling was there about Malcolm, but the search was turning up not a bloody thing. Maxwell placed a well meaning hand on her shoulder, a show of support. He trusted her judgment, and did not question her feeling about this man. Naomi smiled to Maxwell just as Amanda cried out in victory. "I think I have something. I had to open up the secured files, but I believe I have something." A file opened on Naomi's laptop, displaying a picture and write up. Naomi studied it for a moment before smirking as she nodded.

"Yeah, that's the guy. I knew it." She began reading the information off the screen as Amanda read over the cliff notes.

"No serious criminal background, but he is suspected to be involved with an organization called the Red Hand," Amanda explained. "An extremely militant group that recruits those with police and military background. Many of the recruits are from Russia and the United States. Malcolm Montgomery Watt is an expert weapons specialist, expert in combat medicine and a top notch pilot. He was a member of EMS Services in Australia for several years, then applied to join the police force, then nothing. He resurfaced after RCMP Lieutenant Christa Rayne began gathering information about a gunslinger by the code name Operative Violet Rose. It would seen that Watt, code named Omega Six, is Rose's second in command."

"Well, he's here in Columbus, Amanda," Naomi explained. "And if these files read correctly, then Rose and the rest of his unit is here as well. Though, for what, I'm not sure."

"Is there someone who is considered high profile at the convention who would be a target?" Amanda inquired.

"No," Maxwell offered. "No one of real importance in the field. Well, I shouldn't say that, each of us is important. Just no one who would attract these to them."

"What's the next move, Amanda?" Naomi asked in a hopeful voice. There was a pause on the other end as it sounded as if Amanda were speaking to someone away from the phone.

"I'll contact the FBI, who should get you in touch with the police," she replied as Naomi smiled. She hoped this would happen. "Don't get too excited. These things usually take time. But due to the nature of these individuals, we might be able to push paperwork through for you. Both of you." Amanda sighed on the other end of the phone. "I hope you two enjoy the paperwork I'm going to have to do because of you. Oh, and Naomi..."

"Yes Assistant Director?" she said, switching back to more formal titles.

"I hope you two packed your wings."