Chapter Six Part Two

10:15 a.m. - August 24th, 2002

Indigo's fingers flew over the keyboard as she downloaded schematics, registrars, cell phone numbers and more. All of it to track one young man. Gerald Cleaves. According to orders, Cleaves was to be taken into "custody" and used as a leverage to force his father to vote in favour of a bill which would allow government agencies the legal right to wire tap, video tap and out right invade homes without any repercussions. No warrant would be needed. No ruling from a judge. The passing of such a bill would turn the United States into a police state, and Canada and Mexico would not be far behind. But it also meant that agencies that worked globally, such as the Red Hand, would have access to these records. If the bill were allowed to pass, then the days of public records, public freedoms, and human rights would be thrown out the window. This was something that Walker didn't want.

And he volunteered himself and his crew for this detail. Because he had plans of his own. The capture of Cleaves would give him the leverage needed to speak to the Senator, and clear his own name, while at the same time revealing a global conspiracy. After nearly ten years, he'd had enough of the Red Hand. Making lies seem like the truth, 9/11 was the last straw for him. Though Dimitri threw a wrench into his plans. He could no longer move as freely as he would like to. Plans had to change and they had to change fast. It didn't help that Dimitri brought in three of his own men and four assassins from the Sisterhood.

Indigo had her orders. Gather information, make it look good. All the while, searching for a signal that they might be able to reach Grey Kestrel. Warn her somehow. Already Monty was able to make an anonymous tip to the police, but that action was very, very risky. Walker stood close by, making sure no wandering eyes tried to pry on their business, especially Dimitri's. He'd already given Crimson the go ahead for a weapons check, which she did with a fine tooth comb, even going over the weapons of Dimitri's men, and ordering the Sister's to complete a weapons check with her. Walker smiled as he watch Crimson for a moment. The ballsy woman from New Orleans was incredibly thorough, and she took her time. Enough to keep them off his plans.

Flanking him as he watched Indigo's actions on the keyboard were Omega Six and Grey 6-2-6. They never left his side, tilting their head from time to time to listen to a comment from Walker they knew was directed to them. "We need some equipment. Grey, Six. See what ya can do 'bout commandeerin' an ambulance. Some sorta emergency service vehicle. An' uniforms." Walker didn't have to look to make sure they acknowledged him. The pair had heard, and was mentally taking the tally as they watched Dimitri's agents carefully.

Once in a while, either Six or Grey would cough, giving a signal that the others attention was away from the terminal. Indigo would bring up the files again on Grey Kestrel and Hawk's Scream. These two were quite possibly their biggest allies in all of this. Even if they didn't realize it. Every so often, Six would clear his throat, a signal that one of the Sisters was getting too close to their activities. Indigo would go back to her previous research. It was all so smooth.

But even the smoothest of things sometimes had a bump every once in a while.

Indigo didn't even hear the woman as she approached. She was going through Grey Kestrel's military history at the time. Sister White found it rather fascinating. Her movements hadn't even been detected, either visually, or audibly. She was that good. "I've heard about her," she said in a low voice as she looked at the view screen with Naomi Running Cloud's picture. Indigo stopped what she was doing very quickly. Like a deer caught in the headlights, her body froze, waiting for word from Walker.

"Ya got a problem, Ma'am?" Walker said nonchalantly as he took out a cigarette and lit it. He didn't even turn to look at Sister White. But his free hand moved to the Colt at his hip. One move from her, and he would fire. And he could easily pass it off that he had information of a planned betrayal to the Sisterhood.

Sister White turned to study the old gunslinger for a moment. His voice was gruff and determined, but filled with skepticism. He was too honourable of a man to have joined the military of the Red Hand. And that would get the stupid old fool killed. "No problem," she replied in a crisp British accent. Walker cringed slightly as he heard the woman's voice. It was like daggers in his neck. She sounded cold and cruel. He didn't look toward her as she left the terminal. He kept his eyes focused on the work Indigo was pulling down.

"She's not sayin' anythin' ta the others, mate," Omega Six whispered over his shoulder as he watched her. Grey nodded in agreement, but kept his eyes trained on the woman.

"Don't trust the bitch," Walker scowled as he urged Indigo to continue her research. "Only one woman in the Sisterhood worth 'er salt." The others didn't have to ask who. They already knew. Walker spoke of Sister Jade. The pair had met on a mission twelve years before. And as often times during a stressful situation, certain things can happen. Walker was still a member of the US Military at the time, and he had thought he had fallen in love. Jade was kind hearted, he found. When he learned that she was a member of the Sisterhood years later, he couldn't understand why. They had been assigned to each other after Walker had joined the Red Hand, and it was after three years that he learned their previous encounters had produced a child.

Upon learning that, he began to make plans to get out of the Red Hand. Either escape, or get himself killed. After 9/11, he knew he had to get out. Get out, and possibly take his daughter with him. He pushed those thoughts aside as Indigo brought up the comm frequencies of the police department, somehow he knew that Kestrel and Hawk would be using those. Indigo would record them, and hopefully they could use them to contact the pair.

As Indigo continued her research, Sister White had moved back to her group, silently looking to her other comrades. She didn't even bother with a backward glance toward Walker. Sister Eventide, the commanding officer of the small group of Sisters, approached her, just as quietly, and spoke in a hushed tone. "What are they doing?"

Sister White looked back to the group, contemplating her answer. She knew what she saw, but something inside her had changed. In all truth, Sister White should have completely honest. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about Walker at all. The timber of his voice belayed a tyrant underneath. But she saw this also as an opportunity of her own. "They are going over schematics of the University," she stated as she looked to Eventide. "They are preparing. It would seem they are extremely thorough."

"And extremely paranoid," Eventide said as she looked to Six and Grey. Grey was looking directly at Eventide, his eyes seemed to bore into her, and she quickly looked away. It made her rather nervous, knowing that someone had that affect on her. But she did note that the pair had never left their positions, casually looking over each of the Sisters. "I doubt they even trust each other."

Sister White arched an eyebrow and turned to study Eventide directly. "They are soldiers in one of the most secret organizations on the planet. They would kill to continue to keep their secrets. Given what they do and who they are, can you blame them for being paranoid?"

Eventide didn't respond, she just looked to Sister White and clenched her jaw just a bit. But enough to show that White's words had sunk in. "We move quickly," she finally said, changing the subject quickly. "We'll find Cleaves first. He has a girlfriend here and we can take them both. It will be all over in a matter of moments."

"What are our orders?" Sister White inquired casually, but deep inside, she seemed to know exactly what the answer would be.

"We are the Sisterhood," Eventide responded with a proud smile. "We do what we are good at. The boy and the girl will not live to see the dawn." Eventide casually glanced from soldier to soldier, studying those that were faithful to both Dimitri and Walker. "And we will have to deal with all of these. I don't trust any of them. I believe we will have to leave behind some bodies in order to ensure the deception is complete. Walker will be easy to kill. Dimitri more difficult. But we will have to kill them as well."

Sister White didn't bat an eye as she took in the information. Inside, she merely prayed that the information they had on Lieutenant Running Cloud would help them turn the tide and perhaps Eventide would eat her own words.