Chapter Eight Part One

2:15 pm. - August 24th, 2002

Dimitri Kovolenko stared at the computer screens, his brow furrowed in deeper understanding. Somehow, Operative Violet Rose had contacted an agent of CSIS to intervene. To stop what the Red Hand had set out to do. He took out his communicator and brought up the co-ordinates of his superiors. They would definitely not like this. One of their highly respected soldiers had gone rogue. As he waited, he took out a fine Cuban cigar and lighted it, inhaling deeply. Soon, he connected to his central group. “Da. This is Kovolenko. Rose has... how you say, fallen from grace. He think is better to become hero and stop what need be done.” He paused as he listened to the orders of his superiors, a twisted smirk “Understood, comrade. Will take care of it, immediately.”

He moved slowly as he put away the communicator, an eerie chuckle rising in his throat. He would enjoy this a great deal. But, it would be a long time coming. “I suppose you felt the boy's life wasn't worth anything.” Dimitri heard the voice behind him. The professor. Hawk's Scream. His smile darkened as he turned, ready to intimidate his opponent. But he wouldn't get the chance.

As he turned, his face met a very powerful, and fast fist. It was more than surprising, it was painful. Maxwell Running Cloud had decided the time to pull punches was past. It was time to punish this man before the proper authorities could take him away. He drew no quarter, gave no opportunity for a pause. Maxwell kept the offensive up, throwing blow after blow against the Russian.

Dimitri was not a small man. If compared, Maxwell was probably five inches shorter and maybe 75 pounds lighter. Maxwell knew this man could orient himself to put up his own defensive. Dimitri did not disappoint. He replied with a powerful punch of his own. His large meat-hooked hand slammed into Maxwell's face. He'd feel that in the morning, as he felt a small snap. Maybe even longer. But he pushed back the pain and kept up his assault. This man had to be taken in.

As Dimitri swung out again, hoping to hear the familiar and welcoming sound of breaking bone, Maxwell dropped and swung out his leg. Maxwell aimed carefully, knowing that no matter how big the giant, they all had a weakness. That weakness became evident as Maxwell heard the crushing of bone as his foot slammed into Dimitri's knee. And the giant roared in pain, falling to the floor with a thundering crash.

“Men like you are all the same,” Maxwell said through the pain he felt. “you believe power is all you need to rule a nation. It isn't. Compassion, education. People will follow if you lead them, teach them. Not heard them like sheep, telling them what to believe and how to live.”

Dimitri pushed himself up against the wall. His face twisted into a wince as the pain seared through his knee. But he still found his bravado. “Comrade. There will always be people like me. You can nyet stop us. In time, the people will realize, we are here for their own good.”

“To take away their freedom,” Maxwell quickly added for the Russian. “To rule over them with an iron fist.”

Dimitri laughed as he listened to Maxwell. “You do nyet know, how the world works, comrade. These things, they are inevitable.” He smirked as he looked to Maxwell. “A man such as myself would nyet stop fightink against a man such as me. You have only allowed me to find my strength again.”

“No,” Maxwell replied evenly. “I was just waiting for the others.”

Dimitri's eyes widened as he realized the ruse that Maxwell had used on him. His fight, while crushing in a way, was not to physically win, but to lull the Russian into a false security. Until the proper authorities arrived and arrive they did.

Behind Maxwell the doors of the small warehouse opened with a thunder. Columbus police officers and riot officers rushed in, rifles aimed at Dimitri when they found target. Colors of red and blue reflected off the walls. Shouting for the Russian to surrender. Dimitri complied, falling back to the floor as he raised his hands, a scowl on his face as he realized the simple trick the Dakota man had played on him. He sneered as his arms were manhandled by the officers, and he shouted out to Maxwell. “No prison can hold me, comrade. I shall meet you again.”

Maxwell just watched Dimitri as the officers forced him up, weapons still trained on the former KGB agent. The large Dakota man caught sight of Captain Schwartz and nodded in his direction, then looked back to Dimitri. “We shall see,” was all he said in reply.