Chapter Four Part Two

11:15 am. - August 23, 2002

Captain David Schwartz shoved aside one folder on his desk only to replace it with another folder. Arsonists, car jackings, armed robberies. Just another day at the office. He looked up as the door to his office slowly opened. At least it wasn't another case file being delivered. Schwartz leaned back in his chair and sighed as he nodded in silent greeting to Inspector Juan Cortez as the younger man leaned on the door frame. He held his steaming cup of coffee like it was a lifeline.

“You look like you've been at it all night,” Schwartz observed. “Get any sleep last night?”

“Hell no,” Cortez shook his head as he entered the office. He carefully closed the door and took a seat at the desk across from Schwartz. “I was out late goin' over a homicide, an' came in early ta go over the evidence again. Sucker was a bad one. Pretty gruesome scene.”

Schwartz sighed and rubbed his hands over his face. “Just as bad as the nickel an' dime stuff I'm workin' on. Shit's happenin' all over the city. An' half the calls we're gettin' are people rattin' on their neighbours thinkin' they're middle eastern terrorists.” Cortez snorted and rolled his eyes in response as Schwartz let out a long sigh. “I hadda quit smokin' this week, too.”

“Hey, Cap,” Cortez said with a smile. “Isn't that s'pposed ta be the step ta a new, healthier life?”

“Yeah, right,” he said with a snort as he looked to the pile of paperwork. “Quit smokin' an' get an ulcer over this garbage.” He grabbed his coffee cup and took a sip as the two men continued their discussion on the criminal events from the previous night. Several muggings, four armed robberies at convenience stores and the riff raff from the night's drunken revealing. As Schwartz was about to explain one file about a lawyer caught stoned out of his mind outside his apartment building, shouting obscenities to the doorman, all the while wearing a French Maid outfit, his phone suddenly rang. “Schwartz here. What is it, Amelia?” he said into the phone, knowing it was dispatcher's direct line. Cortez rose from his chair and raised his coffee cup in salute. Another day on the job.

“Got a call for you, Captain,” Amelia stated quickly. “It's important. Assistant Director Agent Amanda from CSIS Paranormal Division.”

“CSIS?” Schwartz repeated with some suspicion. “You mean Canadian spooks?” He held up his hand quickly to stop Cortez, motioning him to sit down. Cortez furrowed his brow as he did as he was asked. “Put 'em through, Amelia. I got Cortez with me, I'll put it on speaker.”

“Yes Sir,” came Amelia's quick response. Schwartz exchanged a glance with Cortez as he set the phone down, getting ready to place the call on speaker phone. Why would CSIS be calling his office? The question lingered as the phone rang again.

Schwartz hit the speaker button and rose to his feet. “Schwartz's office. How can I help you A.D. Amanda?”

“Good morning, Captain Schwartz,” Amanda's voice was rather chipper and precise as she spoke. “My apologies for this call, but it would seem there is a situation which would require your attention.” She paused for a moment before continuing, as though there was something just a bit off. “Might I also inquire as to why I have been placed on speaker phone?”

“I have Inspector Juan Cortez with me in the office,” Schwartz explained. “Cortez is one of my best investigators. Been with the force for fifteen years.”

“Ah, I see,” Amanda replied, her voice sounding as though she were satisfied with the explanation. “Good morning, Inspector. Down to business, gentlemen. Last night at approximately eleven o'clock one of our agents made a positive identification with a known criminal. Have either of you ever heard of an organization called the Red Hand?”

Schwartz looked across the desk to Cortez, who just shrugged with a blank look on his face. He smirked and shook his head as he replied. “Sorry, ma'am. Can't say that's familiar.”

“They are a very military organization who's main objective is to ensure the status quo in the world remains exactly where it is,” Amanda explained carefully. “Needless to say, they are just as much a terrorist organization as the Taliban. Except, they are not proclaiming some religious jihad. Their motives are much more political.”

“So, one of these Red Hand guys is in Columbus,” Schwartz repeated, breaking down the information to a much simpler tone that Amanda did. “An' one o' your agents is in town. That an authorized action?”

“Actually, she was on vacation?”

“Vacation?” Cortez repeated with a slight laugh. “Hate ta see what you guys do for work, then.” Schwartz smirked, but held up a hand attempting to control the jests coming from his top investigator.

“She is actually traveling with her brother, Professor Maxwell Running Cloud,” Amanda detailed. “You may have a detailed itinerary of the convention taking place at the university this weekend. Agent Running Cloud recently had a death in the family, and it was believed her time away from action was better suited. When her brother offered her to join him, we authorized the okay for time off.

“So, back ta this Red Hand,” Schwartz stated, having more than enough of the vacation plans explained to him. “How bad are they?”

“We have determined they are targeting a Senator's son,” Amanda explained. Harold Cleaves, Florida Senator. His son, Gerald, is attending classes in Columbus.”

“Any information on what they wanna do?” Schwartz asked as he furrowed his brow. With all the other crap happening in the city, it would have to come to something like this.

“No other information is available, Captain,” Amanda revealed. “Attempting to crack the Red Hand's database is difficult at best. We only ask one thing.”

“What's that?”

“We have contacted Washington, and have the go ahead for Agent Running Cloud to become activated for duty on American soil. We would like her to work with you. Also, her brother. He will more than likely join in the hunt.”

“A professor,” Cortez spoke up for the first time. “Ya gotta be kiddin' me.”

“Have either of you heard the names Hawk's Scream or Grey Kestrel?”

Schwartz simply looked across the desk to Cortez. Both men had heard the names before, but only in news casts. And now they were both here. “Ya gotta admit, A.D. Amanda,” he said with some skepticism. “That's a big coincidence.”

“I like to think of it more as a fortunate series of events,” she retorted. “Do I have your permission, gentlemen? Both are well trained, and both will work closely with you to ensure that the law is maintained.”

Schwartz sighed, considering Amanda's request. He looked to Cortez, who merely shrugged in reply. “Yeah, no problem,” Schwartz finally answered. “Have them meet us early tomorrow morning. Say, 'bout eight, nine o'clock. We have some work to go over here. Any information that your agent has, she can share with us. We'll go from there.”

“Thank you, Captain. I shall inform Agent Running Cloud right away.” The line went dead as Amanda hung up, leaving the two officers to contemplate this new information. What had begun as a long day, had just become a lot longer.