29 Halloween (Part II)

***NON-EDITED***

STILL 14 HOURS AGO

Peter stepped forward, glaring at Jane as his voice came out eerily calm, "Alpha, Levi. This is my older sister."

It didn't take a genius to know what Peter was about to say next. After all these works of being completely alert when it came to withholding her name from her mate and in an instant all of that was about to be ruined by her brother.

Not wanting her brother to do anything drastic, she jumped right in front of his face, lowering her voice as she threatened, "I swear to God Peter if you finish that sentence, brother or not, I will hunt you down and kill you painfully and slowly."

A tad bit drastic, but she needed Peter to clamp down on the crucial information he was about to release. It wasn't like her name was composed of a lot of syllables either – Jane. One word and everything in her life would fall about.

Peter looked down at her with a frown as he nervously questioned, "What's with the death threat?"

Although pointless to do so, she lowered her voice, "He... Alpha Levi, doesn't know my name."

Peter's eyebrows furrowed, but shocked her as he slowly nodded, "I know."

Confused as hell, Jane looked over her shoulder to see Levi carefully standing by and watching the interaction between her and Peter. He looked just as on edge and confused as everyone else in the room – aside from Luke who seemed to be enjoying his snack.

"What's that supposed to mean," Jane asked her brother, worried that he was going to destroy the tiny shred of trust she still had and reveal her name regardless of Levi's intentions. If Peter knew that her mate had every intention of rejecting her, then why the hell would he even consider giving up her name to him? Was her brother going behind her back too?

"Peter." She spoke calmly praying that her brother wasn't betraying her trust also. She could barely tolerate the thought of a backstabbing friend let alone her baby brother.

"Peter tell me you don't plan on telling him who I am, even though you know he has every intention of rejecting me. Please tell me you didn't know what he planned to do," she could feel her eyes stinging with tears and she hated how weak and vulnerable she felt in this moment.

At least her brother had the decency to look guilty before he broke eye contact and ran a nervous hand through his hair as he let out a shaky breath, "What do you want me to tell you? I can't say no to him. He's my Alpha, besides... it's safer for you."

 "Safer?" She laughed without a smidge of humour in her voice, "You think it's safer for me to end up like my..." Even after all this time she still had difficulty saying Clare was her mother. Sometimes, if she was emotional enough, the word came to her easy but right now it didn't.

She cleared her throat and straightened her shoulders, "If you help Levi, I will end up exactly like her making you partially to blame for any of the horrible stuff I might do."

Peter shook his head, "You don't really believe you'd end up like Clare do you?"

Jane shrugged, "Why not? After all when our father rejected Clare for your mom. And you know exactly what happened to Clare she snapped like a toothpick and you and I both know what's become of her- after she brutally murdered hundreds of innocent people of course."

Peter stared at Jane, like she was a spooked horse, as though he was trying to think of ways to calm her down and settle her. But she wasn't going to let Peter convince her that telling Levi was the right thing to do, because it wasn't.