30

Sabrina didn't know why she was so nervous, this wasn't their first session. They had been successfully going to therapy virtually and physically when they could for the last two months but the nerves hit all the same.

This was going to be the first physical session in a while, she and Dr. Baum were awaiting the arrival of Levi who had just gotten into town for another business trip. She knew he would show but now and then, those negative feelings kept creeping back up again.

" Sabrina, stop worrying, He will be here soon" Dr. Baum reassured her, getting her notebook and pen ready. The squeak of the door let her know that he was in the room, looking fine as ever. She would never stop admiring him, it was hard not to since he dressed well and looked good.

" Levi, good to see you. I will overlook your lateness because you had business to attend to, right?" Dr Baum questioned objectively.

" Yes, Doctor. Shall we?" Levi said enthusiastically.

" Before we do, I wanted to dig into your business again. What is it that you do?" She tapped her pen.

" I am a board member and senior banking consultant for one of Atlanta's major banking firms. Why is this relevant?" He looked at her curiously, he thought this was couples' therapy.

" What you do is an intrinsic part of who you are, Levi. I'm here to gauge the root of your issues individually and together to help you both solve them" Dr. Baum eyed him.

" Ah I see what you mean, I don't think that my job has played that a big part in this relationship," he remarked.

" On the contrary, Levi, from what you told me, your job has shaped much of the man you've become and that has then informed how you view the relationship you have with Sabrina. You mentioned being completely controlled in how your work life will be from a young age, you don't think that would affect the way you view relationships if work is your only priority?" She posed him a question, flicking her waves behind her shoulder.

" I guess that I would be lying if I said work wasn't the only important thing to me at one point, I became accustomed to just working with little time for friends and even less for a relationship" He professed as Dr. Baum nodded, taking notes.

The homey room was weighted with tension, it wasn't easy for either of them to be there. Opening up was particularly hard for Levi since he never grew up in a household that allowed for vulnerable discussion.

" Levi, your drive to work has been influenced heavily by your parents, they expected you to replicate who they were in you but your inner child has been persistent in finding something more to aspire to than work. You crave the leisure of life: the joking around, the healthy companionship with someone who gives you space to be your full self, and the luxury of resting. You shouldn't be ashamed of wanting that. You had an ex before Sabrina, in high school?" she questioned, watching him take a deep breath.

" I did but it was never serious, we had no intention of being together any longer. I was never really in love with her, I just had a love for her, you know?" He let out.

She took more notes, noticing he seemed less nervous when referring to his ex. " Had a love for her?" she queried.

" I mean I cared for her but there wasn't any real in-depth love there. It was nice but we both knew that it wouldn't go any further than that" He stated.

" So, Sabrina here is the first woman that you fell for?"

" Yes"

" How did you know? What made you think that this would be different?" She probed.

Levi sighed contently, holding Sabrina's hand." When I first saw her, I will admit I was drawn in by lust but that time spent in Antigua made it clear to me that this was more than just sexual attraction. I wanted to spend time with her simply because I could"