Part 35

Mias POV:
I opened my eyes to see Rafe sat in the chair besides me, staring at the floor, looking like he wanted to give up. I began to panic, wondering if he'd given up on me, decided he didn't love me anymore because of the fact I'd gotten myself in this situation.

'Rafe.' I called, half expecting him to ignore me, keeping his eyes closed.

His eyes snapped open, looking up at the bed that I was in, grasping at my face as if expecting me to fade inbetween his fingers like a ghost. I smiled when he sighed a heavy sigh of relief, glad that I was still here. I wasn't sure what had happened in the hospital, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.

But whatever it was seemed to have traumatised him. He didn't want to let go, even when the doctors assured him I would be okay. He was sat just besides me, but still insisted on keeping my hand tightly locked around his, as if he was going to lose me again.

'Do you wanna talk about it?' I asked quietly, knowing that I was now okay, but he really wasn't.

He sat up straight, looking at me as if he really did want to talk about it, before shaking his head. I frowned, not expecting that reaction at all.

'Rafe, you really need to get your arm checked out. It's gonna get infected.' I sighed, running my hand softly along the bandage.

He winced, yanking it away and pulling the sleeve of his tshirt down, acting as if nothing had happened.

'I really thought you'd died, Mia. I held you on my bedroom floor, thinking it'd be the last time id ever hold you. I've never felt more human in my life. Caring for someone, really, caring for someone the way I do for you. It petrified me.' He said, trailing off as he said the last words.

'Rafe, I'm so sorry.' I whispered.

'Sorry? Why are you sorry? He only stalked you, he only shot you because I killed his sister, Mia. You have nothing to be sorry about.' He said, shaking his head, dismissing my comment.

'I'm sorry that I ran upstairs. I should've stayed hidden, this wouldn't have happened.'

'You were coming to protect me. I understand that now, I'm not mad at you, love. I would've done the same.' He said, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

'Mr Cameron, could we please take a look at your arm now?' The doctor asked, coming into the room and giving me a small smile.

'If you can do it right here. I don't wanna leave her again.' He said firmly.

The doctor looked between us both and nodded, putting his clipboard down on the side and walking to sit in-front of Rafe, lifting his sleeve up and carefully undoing my makeshift bandage.

'We're gonna have to stitch this, luckily the bullet grazed your arm, so we don't need to pull one out, but the cut is rather large.' He explained, getting up and putting on some gloves, reaching for a needle.

I covered my eyes, already trying my best to stay calm about the needles sticking out of my own body, not wanting to watch one go in and out of his.

'Hey, I'll pull this curtain over, okay? You don't have to watch, I know it freaks you out.' Rafe said calmly, pulling the blue divider through the room, but speaking to me as he did so, letting me know he was still there.

After a few minutes of silence, I looked down at my hands. I'd been avoiding it since I woke up, knowing I'd freak out. I regretted it as soon as I did. A cannula stuck in each one, with a tube hanging from my arm too. My heartbeat began to speed up, and the monitor was beeping.

'Can we get a nurse in here please! I'm just finishing the stitches!' The doctor shouted, as the door burst open again, a nurse now here to check on me.