Part 12

Mias POV:
I woke up in the morning with an empty bed. It wasn't unusual, Rafe often had night terrors that left him waking up early, and so he'd go and sit downstairs or outside. But after doing a quick search of the house i realised today was different.

Rafe and ward were both missing, along with the van. the van they'd used a few days before, for the gold move. I rushed back into Rafe's room, closing the door behind me before throwing on a pair of jeans and a tshirt.
I grabbed my phone and made sure I would hear if anyone tried to call me, before opening the door. But, the door didn't open. The latch was stuck, and I wiggled the door handle softly, before pulling at it hard, nothing moving the door. That's when I heard footsteps outside of the door, it almost sounded like they wanted me to hear them.

'Rose? Wheezie? What's going on?' I asked, pounding on the door.

'I'm sorry, Mia, Rafe told me to do this if I thought you'd come after him.' Rose apologised, making my heart speed up.

'Go after him? What's happened?' I panicked, not even needing to ask her to know the answer.

'The gold move got changed to thismorning, they've been gone for an hour or so. They shouldn't be much longer.' She explained, heading back downstairs and leaving me alone.

It was then that I noticed a note on the bed, handwritten and rushed.

Mia,
I hope you can forgive me.
I've gone to move the second half of the gold. I shouldn't be longer than an hour and a half but if I am, I'm in trouble. I don't want you to look for me though, I'd never ever want you to get hurt because of me. Stay in bed, rest.
I love you so so much, don't ever forget that.
Rafe

I flipped the paper over, inspecting it closely before putting it on the bedside table. He knew what he was doing was dangerous, but he'd do anything for his dad. I checked my phone. 7:30am. By the time it hit 7:40, it would've been an hour and a half. I laid staring at the ceiling, listening for any noise or indication that they were home, and it wasn't until 7:55 that I heard the van pull up outside.

I rushed to the window, making sure I couldn't be seen, listening to the conversation Rafe was bound to have with his father. But neither of them said a word. I furrowed my eyebrows, as I heard the front door open and close, at the same time I got a text from JJ.

JJ: you say he's good for you?? You deserve someone better than a murderer, Mia. Be careful around him. He killed Peterkin.

The bedroom door unlocked, not giving me enough time to change my facial expression, or put my phone down. Rafe's smile dropped, looking between me and the phone.

'Hey, what're you doing?' He asked, his hands shaking, reaching forwards to take my phone.

I switched it off and threw it onto the bed before he could grab it.

'What happened out there, Rafe?' I asked hoarsely, watching his every move so carefully.

'Nothing, we got the gold on the plane, it's okay.' He replied, sighing of relief and trying to wrap his arms around me.

'And Sheriff Peterkin? What did you do with her corpse?' I asked, watching as his entire body tensed up.

'Mia, I was trying to protect us. She was gonna shoot my dad, I wanted to help him.' He stuttered, fumbling to explain himself to me.

'Why would she try to shoot him if what you were doing is okay?' I asked, not understanding his story but beginning to feel a little sorry for him.

'He was tryna force Sarah onto the airplane. He wants her to move to Nassau, she's been sleeping with John B behind Toppers back, and he wants her away from all of this.' He said, grabbing my wrist and begging me to understand.