Part 37

Mias POV:
'Hey, I'm not being an arsehole or anything, but I don't want you in here anymore.' Rafe said, breaking the silence that we were sat in, standing up and beginning to pack my bags.

'Woah, Rafe. You can't just take her home. She's here because she was shot.' Kelce said, stating the obvious, taking the bag from Rafe's hand.

'It's not up to you, Kelce. They can't keep her here.' He responded, turning away from me to face his friend.

'I can come home in a few days, Rafe. It's not that long to wait.' I sighed.

'No, I need you home right now.' He responded, grabbing my clothes and stuffing them into my bag.

'Dude, what's going on?' Kelce snapped.

'Topper, he's coming home tonight, alright? So do you mind?' He said angrily, grabbing the wheelchair from the corner of the room and opening it up.

'Topper? He's being released from jail? He was only there for a month.' I whispered, my heart pounding extremely fast.

'His dad paid a lot of money for him to be released, and they recon a month is long enough for what he did to you, not to mention what he did to Sarah.' Rafe said, grabbing the money and the gun from the desk, shoving it to the bottom of the bag.

'As if you care about Sarah.' Kelce muttered.

'I don't, Kelce, you're right. But the point is, when he's out, everything will resurface. He might come after her again.' Rafe snapped, looking over at me, almost in pity.

A nurse walked in, looking between us all, and the wheelchair besides my bed. She sighed, placing one hand on her hip.

'It really isn't advised that you leave just yet, Mia. You haven't fully healed and any extreme movements will reopen your stitching.' She said, walking over to her desk and grabbing the release forms that even she knew she was obliged to hand to me.

'I know, but I will be careful. I just can't be in this hospital anymore.' I lied, looking at the boys.

'Well, sit still whilst I take out these cannulas.' She said, drawing my attention to the needles in my hand.

My blood ran cold. I had almost forgotten about the disgusting needles in my hand, and now I had to wait for her to take them out. Otherwise, I'd not be able to leave.

Rafe put the bag down, coming to sit besides me and holding onto my thigh, letting me clutch his shoulder whilst she slowly pulled the holding tape from my hand.

'Okay, the first needle is gonna come out, are you ready?' She asked softly.

'Just do it.' Rafe said angrily, knowing that the buildup was worse than anything, and the more she spoke, the more I began to worry.

I winced in pain as the long cannula was pulled from my hand, and I refused to turn to look at it, as she put a plaster over the hole. She straightened out my arm, taking the one from there, apologising as the needle caught on the way out, making me scream in pain.

'Hey, you're okay, it's done.' Rafe said softly, moving my hair behind my ears and smiling calmly at me, kissing the top of my head and helping me into the wheelchair.

'Never again.' I whispered, covering my mouth to hide a gag, as I watched her carry the large, bloody needles to the waste bin.

'Remember, lots of water, no movement, and lots of painkillers.' She warned, pointing her finger at me like an angry teacher.

'Thank you.' I smiled, as she opened the door for us to leave, giving Rafe a stern look as he wheeled me from the building, Kelce trailing behind with the bag.

'I'm still putting in a final offer for the house, and my home isn't safe anymore.' Rafe said, contemplating where we should stay.

'My parents are on holidau for the next two weeks, you guys can move into mine if you like.' Kelce smiled, throwing the bag into the boot.

'No, really, it's fine. I'll just go back to my house. I'll be safe.' I said , holding my hands out to tell him it was no worry.

'You live next door to Topper, Mia. No way am I letting you live at your house whilst you're healing.' Rafe said bluntly, lifting me into the passenger seat and folding the wheelchair at my feet.

'Kelce lives next door to Topper too! Just on the other side!' I argued.

'He won't expect us to be there. Mia please.' Rafe begged.

I turned to look at Kelce, who was smiling devilishly at me, almost as if he expected this time to be filled with parties and alcohol. 

'Fine. We can stay at Kelce's. But only for a week.' I sighed.

Rafe smiled, starting the car and heading home, letting his free hand find it's way to my leg.

'Let's hope Topper isn't home yet, and if he is. We're fucked.' Kelce said quietly, almost holding his breath as we rounded the corner to our street.

There was no sign of him, and we all let out a sigh of relief. Rafe parked his car at his house, to avoid giving away to anyone where we were staying, before unfolding the wheelchair and lifting me down into it.

'I like being carried everywhere.' I teased, watching as Rafe locked up his car and rolled his eyes at me.

'It's making me stronger for sure.' He responded, giving me a joking wink.

'I am not heavy.' I responded, punching him lightly in the arm.

'Guys, hurry up. Toppers cars just pulled in!' Kelce hissed, pushing us into his house and closing the door behind us.

They left me sat in the hallway, running around and closing all of the windows and blinds, just making sure that nobody knew we were here. One week of hiding, and then life would go back to normal. That's what I told myself.

'Can we watch a movie?' I asked, slowly getting out of the wheelchair and walking towards the sofa, not wanting to have to be pushed everywhere.

'Yes we can, I need to go shopping though. We've got no food in.' Kelce responded.

'I want to go shopping too.' I protested.

'You can't go anywhere.' Rafe said protectively.

I spun to look at him and he shrugged, grabbing a whiskey glass and pouring some into it, holding it up to his lips and taking a sip.

'I can't go anywhere, or you don't want me to go anywhere?' I asked, provokingly.

'Both. The boy next door tried to kill you, Mia. And until you can walk, you will not be leaving this house alone, do you hear me?' Rafe said, finishing his drink and putting the glass down, walking towards me.

'Loud and clear.'

'That's a good girl.' He whispered, loud enough for only me to hear.

I shot him a warning glare, letting him know that I didn't appreciate him speaking to me like that whilst we had company, but he just smiled, running his tongue along his teeth in a cocky manner.

'I'll go and get some food, don't fuck in my house.' Kelce warned, grabbing his car keys.

'I'm in no state to fuck.' I joked.

'You always struggle to walk when I'm done with you so nows no different.' Rafe responded.

Kelce turned to look at us, pretending to gag, and I threw a pillow at him, laughing at he continued to do so all the way out of the door. He locked it quickly, knowing that Rafe had strict instructions to keep the house on lockdown at all times.

Top: I can't tell you how sorry I am, Mia. I've had time to think, and I know that none of this was your fault. Please let me come and speak to you.

Top: you're not home? Why aren't you home?

Top: your mum told me you were shot, but you're not at the hospital anymore. Please Mia, I've gotta talk to you.

Top: the guy who tried to kill Rafe in prison, tried to kill me too. You're both in danger, Mia.