Chapter 13: In plain sight

You would have thought that I would have opened the file the moment I left the archive. Something inside me could not allow that to happen. Everything I wanted to know may have been in the file at that moment. What my parents looked like so that I could find them. Maybe even warn them to get out of the city, that Jeanine was looking for them. The words though, that she said to me before I left, that I would have to choose between my parents or Eric. To some it would be an easy choice, for me, I was conflicted. My parents had left me with two very unpleasant people. Yes, they were my parents and I cared unconditionally for them but, could the same be said for Eric. Faction before blood. I loved my faction just as unconditionally as I did my parents. I groaned inwardly. I couldn't even remember their faces, they could have been standing in front of me this entire time and I would have known. I wondered the hallways, the file still clenched in my hand. It was after midday when I broke out of the trace that led me nowhere. I was near the pit. I looked down at the file. We promised no secrets between each other. Eric knew things I didn't before last night. I still know things that he may not know. Glancing around the pit I looked for any familiar faces and found none.

"You should be resting." I turned with a jump. Damn him.

"How do you always do that?" I asked as Eric came to stand beside me.

"Guess it is one of my talents." He glanced at me and I looked away. I felt like he could read me at that moment. There was a reason I wasn't resting and he knew it. I attempted to not bring the file in my hand to his attention.

"Well you do it very well." I said softly and watched the different gatherings in the pit. "War games are tomorrow." I changed the subject and he smirked. "I'm going." He shrugged.

"I recommend against it." He stated and I turned to him.

"Why?" I looked up at him. His hand came up and stroked my cheek.

"You need to rest, I can't risk you getting hurt further."

"I have healing serum, I can rest tonight and tomorrow, by then I should be fine." I argued and he sighed. I rolled my eyes. "Why am I asking you? I'm in charge of the initiates not you." He raised an eyebrow and evil look coming to his face. He was always testing.

"I still make my recommendation and am a part of the process Avery, don't forget that." He said and kissed my lightly on the cheek before turning away. "Get some rest!" He called back to me and he left the pit. He headed in the direction of the leadership compound. He was still working on the Erudite project. I remember telling him I would be a part of it too, only in my own way. I did it for him and for answers. I only waited for the moment they needed me. I was afraid for that moment. Knowing now that my part in it was to lead them to my parents. Looking down at the file in my hand I mentally kicked myself. I was doing it already. I was so desperate for answers that I was unconsciously leading them in the right direction. Something caused my feet to rush back to my apartment. Once there I locked the door behind me. I went in search of my journal. I tore my apartment apart, not finding it in any of it normal places. I almost screamed. My eyes landed on the jacket I left by the door. I rushed to it and sighed in relief when I felt my journal still concealed within it. Take it and the file I retreated to my room and locked that door.

I knew that all of this was for nothing. According to Eric and what he told me last night, they were just waiting for me to lead the way, to find them. There were cameras everywhere, not just in Dauntless. I was being tracked specially for this program. I sat on the edge of my bed and flipped open my journal. All the notes I had written down prior would now be proven true or false. I hesitated as I traced my fingers along the file I was given. Did I even want to know? If I did, would I be able to not seek them out. I wanted to keep them safe. Just knowing that they were still alive was relief enough to me. I flipped open the file. Two pictures were paper clipped to either side. My fathers and mothers information had their own separate sides. Tears came to my eyes and I picked my mother photo up out of the file. She looked just like me. We shared the same blonde hair before I change mine, the same green eyes. Memories flew back into my head of her. I put the picture down and reached for my fathers. I gasped. I had seen him before. His face flashed in my mind. I suddenly felt cold. Looking long and hard at the picture, I could come to no conclusion. The written information within was the same of what I had before. Nothing changed there. All that she gave me was the photographs. I stuck them both in my journal and gathered up all the excess paperwork.