Chapter 1: Conflict

"Everything's that's broke

Leave it to the breeze

Why don't you be you

And I'll be me

From throwing clothes across the floor

To teeth and claws and slamming doors at you

If this is all we're living for

Why are we doing it, doing it, doing it anymore"

"Avery!" that voice shouted out to me. Damn that voice. Turning from the filing cabinet I faced him. Eric. The bane of my freaking existence. "I asked for those files nearly an hour ago, what's the hold up." I glared at him. He really knew how to get on my nerves. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who inwardly hated him. I shrugged my shoulders and turned back to the filing cabinet. I wouldn't take his bullshit, not today. I felt him come up behind me. I could swear I felt his breath on the back of my neck. I was a leader just as much as he was, he had no reason to treat me this way. Well I was still junior to him, in some aspects. "And then she ignores me."

"Everyone ignores you Eric." I said simply shifting through the files. I was trying to find the files he was looking for. I had to shadow him for a few weeks. I had completed my leadership training within standard when I was selected and now this. I was his secretary for the most part. I knew he wouldn't leave until I gave him an answer to his original question. Sighing I turned to him. "I've been looking for the past hour Eric. Unless there is some secret place this file exists you have to wait." turning back to the cabinet I began looking again. It was initiate statics he was looking for.

"Keeping looking." he said sternly before turning back to his office.

"Yes sir!" I said sarcastically, I had caught the attention of everyone else in the room. They shared a snicker to themselves. Eric glared at me before returning to his office. Score stands such. Me: 2 Eric: 1. It had been a constant battle of wits between the two of us over the past year. I had been going through initiate training and then leadership training. I had to admit my initial crush on the man, until he made me face someone twice my size and almost forced me out of Dauntless. I hated him for that every time it came to mind. I continued to search through the files and smiled in triumph when I found what Eric was looking for. Glancing at the file I made sure it was the right one before turning toward his office. Without knocking I entered his office. He looked up from his computer with a glare. I didn't care if I toed the line every chance that I got. The man irritated me to no end.

"Here is your file sir!" again my sarcasm could not be prevented as I laid the file down on his desk. He looked from the file to me, the anger rising in his bones.

"You mock me openly." he said simply. There was no reason for raised voices being enclosed in his office. I shrugged. He was mad. I didn't care.

"Only because you make it easy." I said back. He was a year older than me. He twenty one and me twenty. Both of us had been transfers at eighteen. I saw no reason to bow down in respect to him because he had been a leader a whole year longer than me. Eric rose from his seat and leaned forward on his desk. "Do you need a lesson in respect?" he asked.

"None that you can give." my words fly without reason some times. I could have sworn at that moment that I felt my attraction toward him come back with his smirk. He smirked evilly as he always did, through a glare. Stop it! My mind screamed at the thought.

"A match then. You and me. On the mat." I laughed at his proposal. Really, a fight?

"What so you can pummel me into the ground to feel better. Hardly fair." I said crossing my arms. He couldn't be serious. He did the same thing during training. Pairing me with people I had no chance in beating and now this.